PDA

View Full Version : 6a12tt motor swap

flipz_ny79
01-10-2003, 08:15 PM
I found a site that is selling a clip of a vr4 galant with the 6a12tt engine in it for about $2100. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I could research a project like this. Or if anyone knows if this would be as easy as the 4g63t swap or harder ? I believe it has an auto/tranny.

- would the motor mounts line up?
- would the gs-t 5 speed work?
- would I need a lot more parts that wouldnt be included with the clip?
I would appreciate it a lot if someone could give me some info. THANKZ !!!

pinoyesv6
01-10-2003, 08:21 PM
this swap is gonna be harder than a normal 4g63 swap. the main reason, this motor is foreign to most mechanics here in teh US. uhm if u are gonna keep the AWD ur gonna need parts fo the rear end too. but yea doing a swp like this would basically mean you are pretty much building ur car from scratch. lots of custom parts, lots of hard to find parts and stuff like that. don't know if ur gonnado it yourself but u also gots to find sum1 who has the balls to do this kinda swap and get it done from start to finish. not sum1 that would back out in the middle of the swap cuz it got hard.

Dark Anghell
01-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Why not just do this...
1.Keep the 2100
2.Sell the 7gen
3.Save at least 10000in parts and labor for the swap
Total should come up to be around 16000 at least
4. Order a real VR-4 from japan.
Benefits:
1. It's the real thing!
2. 4-wd from the factory, thus it's been done correctly
3. 6-cyl TT from the factory...andain done by pros at factory
4. It's right hand drive
5. It's the only one in the states
6. I will give you mad props if get one!
7. The rest of the people will give you props too https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

HiperSilver
01-11-2003, 12:18 AM
well...then theres another problem,

you gotta pass emissions or else they hold your car at the dock, you have to also fill out papers with the DOT

you will need to post a bond worth over 2 times the amount of the car until it passes smog, it has to be oked for crash tests, if not u get a different type of liscence where u can not drive the car daily. also have to give a proof of purchase.

If you got money fine, import one over. but if it was that easy, wed have abotu a thousand skylines daily on the road... its a headache

Dark Anghell
01-11-2003, 12:54 AM
Yes that's true..I know all about that...my friend driven an R-32 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif (yes...it's very fast...11.8 1/4 mile!).
It is much easier when this car is allready in the us. Just because if the car shares the same body, the crash results will be the same, the smog could be an issue, but not usually. Skylines pass emissions as long as the boost is down. As for the money issue...R-32's in japan go for about 11K us. Galant has to be less than that.
I haven't really looked into it...I did hear rumors about 240 SX's. You can purchase them for a little over 3K+shipping from japan. But in the contract you state that you will not sell the car to anyone else (you can ship it back to japan though)...another rumor stated that the car must be returned to japan after a certain time period, just like a lease.

I have also seen a daily driven Lancer EVO 5 I think in state WA, and it was not a fake one. Also the Mitsubishi dealership has shipped a new EVO 8 over to the states as well. On top of that the latest right-hand drive car I've seen in Washington was 2003 Honda Integra Type R (that's right looks like the RSX)...the guy paid a little over 30K for the car, and it has licence and all, so the car was 100% street legal. Another car to add to the list is an R-33 that was brought in a container with a label that said "parts", the car is not a daily driver, and not legal, but I bet you can get it licenced as a hot-rod or something like that.

So there are ways of importing the car over here. We just don't know all of them https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

This is like a brainstorm https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif ...Mitsubishi Dealership might be the answer. Go to them and find out if you can get either Galant straight from japan or the one from europe like Germany. This way the car will be left-hand drive.

That's all I can think of right now.

BEAST
01-11-2003, 01:20 AM
How much would it cost to get a car converted to left hand drive? A couple thousand? Also are there any websites where you can import cars from? I remember a while ago seeing a Nissan website for a brand new Skyline R34 I believe for like 43,000.

BlackBeauty
01-11-2003, 06:12 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>How much would it cost to get a car converted to left hand drive? Â*A couple thousand? Â*Also are there any websites where you can import cars from? Â*I remember a while ago seeing a Nissan website for a brand new Skyline R34 I believe for like 43,000.</div>

Depends on the car....here in Oz, between $5,000-$10,000AUD (approx $2,000US - $4,500US)...

Lots of Aussie websites where u can import Jap cars from - it's very cheap for us to do it here. Like NZ, good market for it and lots of Jap imports driving around on our roads