PDA

View Full Version : Having issue mounting side underbody lights...

fliegendaffe
05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
lets try this again. please only post if you have helpful ideas that don't include not mounting them.

So i'm trying to mount my underbody lights today, i got my rear and front ones mounted, but I can't seem to mount the sides although. I try to drill and screw straight up, but I can't seem to get past the metal behind the side skirt. Any advise?

QnzMostWanted
05-16-2008, 05:46 PM
u want real advice, mount it after that little lip, if u want it before, u need to find another way besides drilling

fliegendaffe
05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
u want real advice, mount it after that little lip, if u want it before, u need to find another way besides drilling

there is no spot after the lip. i tried using the lip, but the screws wouldn't want to go through after i predrilled the holes

QnzMostWanted
05-16-2008, 05:49 PM
yes u can put it after the lip, just drill the holes, its been done, in the same spot numerous times in the past, search you might find it

fliegendaffe
05-16-2008, 05:55 PM
searched back to 2003, and only 1 thing close to it which had a dead link in it. so searching wont do me any good

BIGMONEYDAY
05-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know the problem your having drilling into the metal behind the metal lip that runs the length of the car on both sides. I originally mounted my old school neon "tubes" there a back in 2000. Even though I've broken the front and back tubes years ago, my original tubes are still under there and intact to this day. (Don't worry, they ain't hooked up anymore) To mount them, we just used typical pan head, self tapping, sheet metal screws.

fliegendaffe
05-16-2008, 06:33 PM
like i said, i DID drill there, but the screws wouldn't want to go in

guynlidia2006
05-16-2008, 08:34 PM
then i would say that you should have a professional do it. Why would someone ask for advise but give attitude in return when they can't give him the golden answer. Were the skrews you tired to use metal self tapping skrews? If not get them....

fliegendaffe
05-16-2008, 08:36 PM
then i would say that you should have a professional do it. Why would someone ask for advise but give attitude in return when they can't give him the golden answer. Were the skrews you tired to use metal self tapping skrews? If not get them....

only people i am getting an attitude with is people the gave the "opinion" posts from the other thread. so please don't put words in my mouth. and no i will not have a professional do it.

guynlidia2006
05-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Are you trying to use self tapping skrews?

fliegendaffe
05-16-2008, 08:46 PM
yes, these are. but i am probably going to get some different ones from work and try those

guynlidia2006
05-16-2008, 09:16 PM
just use shorter ones, get them short and fat so its snug but you dont have to go in so far

Jeffylou87
05-16-2008, 09:17 PM
It sounds like you tried drilling using just the tap screws... If you did, you should try getting through with a drill bit.. but make sure its not too big for the screws that you have..

fliegendaffe
05-16-2008, 09:29 PM
It sounds like you tried drilling using just the tap screws... If you did, you should try getting through with a drill bit.. but make sure its not too big for the screws that you have..

like i said, i already drilled

pinoyesv6
05-16-2008, 09:31 PM
are you making a hole that is big enough for the screw?

fliegendaffe
05-16-2008, 09:32 PM
are you making a hole that is big enough for the screw?
a size just below the screw size

732Galant
05-16-2008, 10:24 PM
if you're doing a hole the size below the screw size, the screw itself might not be able to get through the hard metal on the lip. that might be a problem. I would try with different screws or something else. if there is already a hole use zip ties.

youngin3
05-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Just make the hole a little bit bigger, it sounds to me like you made the pre-drilled hole too small.

Either that, or your drill isn't strong enough. (haha)

fatal1
05-17-2008, 12:11 AM
if you got a drill bit in there then you should have no problem actually drilling into it using a self tapping screw....i suggest using a more powerful drill use a higher speed and torque setting...if you have access to a cord drill i would use that...they are generally more powerfull then teh battery drills

fliegendaffe
05-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Just make the hole a little bit bigger, it sounds to me like you made the pre-drilled hole too small.

Either that, or your drill isn't strong enough. (haha)

drill is plenty strong. black & decker firestorm 18v

732Galant
05-17-2008, 10:04 AM
If you're doing it the right way, your drill is plenty strong, and you're not going to pay someone to do it, what did you expect when you posted? Everything anyone has said to you has been responded to with an attitude by you. It is the same in the other post you made about the same things. Yes people were more opinionated in there, but you're still giving people an attitude. Good luck with your lights man, but chill out with being rude to people.

lucap100is
05-17-2008, 10:08 AM
use a new drill bit or move your mounting hole.

Fishboy55
05-17-2008, 10:26 AM
drill is plenty strong. black & decker firestorm 18v

OK, so according to you, it's not the drill, it's not the drill bit, it's not the screws, so you just must be inept. You'd think the big radio installation graduate could mount some underbody LED's in his car...

Why is it every time someone gives you advise and it isn't what you want to hear you become an asshole? The same thing happened when you tried to tell us about your extensive electronic knowledge. You argued with people with far more experience then you and then you wound up apologizing for being an ass. Grow up and learn to take advise and understand the advice you get may not be what you want to hear.

Fishboy55
05-17-2008, 10:30 AM
If you're doing it the right way, your drill is plenty strong, and you're not going to pay someone to do it, what did you expect when you posted? Everything anyone has said to you has been responded to with an attitude by you. It is the same in the other post you made about the same things. Yes people were more opinionated in there, but you're still giving people an attitude. Good luck with your lights man, but chill out with being rude to people.

As far as being rude to people, isn't this your post from his first attempt at seeking advice? :roll:

"I would like to be able to help you, but i have no idea. don't listen to these guys, 99% of the ppl on this board are dicks, u just have to find someone who isnt"

fliegendaffe
05-17-2008, 11:36 AM
OK, so according to you, it's not the drill, it's not the drill bit, it's not the screws, so you just must be inept. You'd think the big radio installation graduate could mount some underbody LED's in his car...

Why is it every time someone gives you advise and it isn't what you want to hear you become an asshole? The same thing happened when you tried to tell us about your extensive electronic knowledge. You argued with people with far more experience then you and then you wound up apologizing for being an ass. Grow up and learn to take advise and understand the advice you get may not be what you want to hear.

i never said it was the screws or the bit. if you are going to be an asshole, just turn your computer off.

fliegendaffe
05-17-2008, 11:37 AM
ok this thread is locked as well....tired of people becoming assholes with this.