PDA

View Full Version : tranny and catalytic converter

Nyr0283
01-11-2003, 10:12 PM
I took my car to my mechanic because i heard a pretty loud knocking noise which i thought was the motor mounts.. He checked out the motor mounts and they were in perfect condition. He took the car for a test drive, heard the noise and said it was the tranny. He explained exacctly what it was but i didnt really understand.. all i got from it was that the bearings were shot and what i was hearing was some parts breaking little by little as it hits. He also put the car on the lift and found that the catalytic converter was shot... Anyone know how much all this is going to cost me roughly?.. and also will i be able to pass inspection if the catalytic converter is shot?? :cry: ... THANKS

JiP
01-12-2003, 01:38 AM
What do you mean by SHOT? a cat is closed in a metal shield you cant see inside it while its on the car so what does SHOT mean? A hole in it? ye youll pass inspection because your exhaust would escape out the hole and it wont reach the tail pipe for the sniffer https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Its illegal though lol

And tranny work could be expensive depending on what the specific prob is and how much damage your doing to it everytime your driving it with your problem..

manybrews
01-12-2003, 12:59 PM
need more information regarding your problems.

Nyr0283
01-15-2003, 09:17 PM
dont know much about cars thats why i'm asking you guys :wink: .. the mechanic put my car on the lift and started hitting the muffler and the exhaust pipe that leads to the front.. there was noise coming from the catalytic converter (like there were pieces loose inside or something). he told me what i was hearing was filters that are inside and they are all loose. He told me it would cost roughly $750 to repair that.

as far as the tranny is concerned, he told me that it would cost "alot" to repair. he said i could probably ride it for a couple more thousand miles without it causing much more damage, but i should look into fixing it.

JiP
01-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Ye that does happen with the CATS i know several people who have had peices come loose inside and knock aruond like crazy. CAT's arent cheap, personly id cut it out and throw a test pipe in there... Is it possible that the kocking sound you heard was the loose Catalytic converter pieces or was the sound comming more from the front passenger side of the car because then its probably your trann.

Nyr0283
01-15-2003, 09:34 PM
thats exactly what teh mechanic thought when he put my car on the lift.. he said the nosie i was hearing was the cat, but i wasnt satisfied.. i thought it was a little too loud for it to be the cat so he took it out on a test drive andn he said it was definetly the tranny. I dont think he would be bullshiting me because he's good friends with my dad.

Nyr0283
01-15-2003, 09:38 PM
you basically hear the noise from anywhere inside the car.

JiP
01-15-2003, 09:41 PM
welp like I said that can happen to a cat, and they are costly item, there for emmision purposes. If you throw a straight pipe in its place you probably will fail "sniffer" test for emmision inspection.

As for the tranny..dunno what to tell you.

Nyr0283
01-15-2003, 09:43 PM
damnit, i have to take it to inspection in march :?

BEAST
01-15-2003, 10:29 PM
If I remember correctly Galants are really good when it comes to emission tests. They sell hi-flo cats for our cars for $135. The price isn't listed on the website so I called them. I don't know if you want that sort of thing on your car but it's an option. It probably won't affect emissions too much.