PDA

View Full Version : Do you hear lots of air in your intake manifold?

mbssbm
01-12-2003, 01:53 AM
Is something wrong with mr car? It sounds like a wind storm in my intake manifold. If I turn off my radio I can hear it inside the car? Does anyone else hear this?

Fishboy55
01-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Well your mods don't list anything about an intake, so I assume you're running stock. If so, then yea, that's a problem. Look for leaks in the intake and the around the stock airbox. If you have an aftermarket Ram or CAI, the sound of additional air being sucked in is normal.

Chip

BGR
01-12-2003, 07:26 AM
Is there any decrease in your performance or other signs of problems?

You'll know because a) your check engine light would be on, and https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif your Galant would be stalling out. I say this because what you're explaining sounds like you're getting too much air but this description sounds typical if you had a aftermarket intake system installed or if you used the flip airbox technique, in which case you don't have anything to worry about as this is normal with these particular modifications.

HeadAche
01-12-2003, 12:55 PM
I only hear it on my short ram.. If u are running stock then you may have a leak or a hole in the phlenum, and that u will have to repair or replace..

pinoyesv6
01-12-2003, 02:48 PM
i'd pop open the hood and carefully use my ear to determine the sounds location

mbssbm
01-12-2003, 05:38 PM
well i do have the flipbox mod done, and i recognized the sound change. But now its sounds stronger and louder. Let me go check out my engine like pinoy said and i'll get back with you guys.

Auto-9
01-12-2003, 07:44 PM
I've personally never heard a sound like the one you're describing, not even when I left my intake off the intake plenum (of course my engine died after about 5 seconds of idling). I think there's a device that listens for sounds, seems to be more accurate than the human ear (unless you tune pianos for a living). Forget what it's called though.

pinoyesv6
01-12-2003, 08:32 PM
ok the way u describe it its most likely the air being sucked into ur filter and through ur intake pipe. but make sure just incase

mbssbm
01-12-2003, 09:53 PM
well i listened to it and it sounded like a brewing kettle.

cdaw2001ES
01-12-2003, 09:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Forget what it's called though.</div>
a microphone...
I prefer a stethoscope, less wires involved.

btw if anybody needs one, I got em for $6.00, and we stock a range from $12-$600
(My Wife an I run a uniform /Nursing supply shop www.englesdiscount.com

pinoyesv6
01-12-2003, 09:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mbssbm)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i listened to it and it sounded like a brewing kettle.</div>

and then when u shift gears, lets say to aprk, neutral etc etc, the tone of the kettle changes right? thats ur intake, its natural