PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass molding

jonk8123
05-28-2008, 11:07 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4964/1001298fd3.jpg

Can this be heated with a heat gun and molded so that the gap isnt there?
i heard you can heat it from the inside and bend it carefully but not sure.
Or is there anyother way to mold fiberglass w/o paying a body shop?

G-spot
05-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Now, if I could heat mold fiberglass I'd be sporting a wing west integra lip right about now...

Don't be cheap (unless you plan to DIY, that's probably the cheapest lol)

mrjaydeeone
05-29-2008, 01:14 AM
I have that bumper molded on my car. I took it to a body shop. And it required fiberglass and what not to get it done right.
you can see pics of the work getting done here (http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/mrjaydeeone/Body%20Shop%20July%202007/)
and you can see pics of the finished product here (http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i206/mrjaydeeone/car%20finished%20August%202007/)

jonk8123
05-29-2008, 09:12 AM
yea i know how to fiberglass, but i have to get rid of the gap i heard you can heat the back of it up and carfully bend it but it takes a while just wondering if anyone has tried that or if a heat gun will crack it

if not how much does a body shop run

mrjaydeeone
05-29-2008, 06:21 PM
when my kit was 1st installed the shop had put like a caulking behind it. it looked pretty back, cause it was black. I have seen some people put this kit on their car, and I guess the fit was sot tight it didn't have gaps like in your pictures or like what mine had looked like.

ericbla03
05-29-2008, 08:14 PM
The simple answer is NO, Fiberglass does NOT become maleable when you heat it up.
If the bumper were made of ABS (or urethane to some exent), then yes, you could heat it up and bend it around.
The only solution is a LOT of cutting adding more fiberglass to the part. That gap is pretty bad.

If you have the time to mess with it, then go ahead and do it yourself. Something like that could cost you A LOT of you wanted a body shop to get it to look perfect.

We had a 2000 Porsche Boxter come in to our shop and the guy wanted some sideskirts painted and installed. There was a few good sized gaps that he wanted eliminated completely, no matter how long it took (he basically wrote a blank check). It took me and another technician 2 whole days to get them to fit right, but they looked PERFECT when they were done.......... the guy ended up paying about $1500 for this sideskirt job.

Shadow19
05-30-2008, 06:26 AM
The easiest way to do that is to get some painters tape and tape off about 3'' above and 3'' below the gap so that nothing sticks to the metal. Use some sort of strong filler like bondo with fiberglass strands in it or even fiberglass strands with resin. Whichever you think is best for the job. Fill it. Let it dry and sand it. Just make sure you remove the bumper before sanding or youre gonna catch hell. Trust me. It works. That way your not molding the bumper to the car and when you put it back on it will have no gaps if you did it correctly. The reason for painters tape is simply because it will come off with the bumper and you dont have to worry about the shit sticking to the car. It worked for me when i did my side skirts