PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket oil filter longer

keithert
05-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Tonight I changed the oil on my car and used an aftermarket oil filter. It had the correct cross reference number for the car but was about 3/4 in longer than the factory oil filter. Has anyone noticed this before?

RedGalant2k1
05-30-2008, 11:34 PM
It was probably for the I4. For whatever reason the I4 uses a smaller body filter but may be a bit longer than the V6. Does it cover the entire area where the filter screws on?

keithert
05-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes it was the same diameter as the stock filter, just longer. On Autozone's website I looked up the filter numbers and the one I have is for the V6, the I4 uses a different filter entirely.

RAZ_76
05-31-2008, 12:19 AM
No big deal.

guynlidia2006
05-31-2008, 07:25 PM
its better the bigger the filter cap. for oil... i like running oversided filters so the oil stays as cool as possible

WarmAndSCSI
05-31-2008, 07:34 PM
its better the bigger the filter cap. for oil... i like running oversided filters so the oil stays as cool as possible

The purpose of the filter is to filter the oil, not cool it. There's no logic in that. The amount of time spent within the filter is simply negligible.

pinoyesv6
05-31-2008, 08:46 PM
if i remember what manybrews told us years ago...

when the 8g was made, mitsubishi pretty much had 2 oil filters for their whole lineup pretty much. the one in the i4 8g and the one in the v6.

both are interchangeable but the only reason they had 2 different filters is that one filter fit better in some cars than it did in others. fit wise meaning the shape and size of the filter canister. but mounting wise, they are the same.

guynlidia2006
05-31-2008, 09:08 PM
well if u use a larger filter the system holds more oil, which in theory means it can spend more time in the oil pan giving it time to cool till the oil pump sucks it up.. so in theory yes there is logic

WarmAndSCSI
05-31-2008, 09:10 PM
well if u use a larger filter the system holds more oil, which in theory means it can spend more time in the oil pan gicing it time to cool till the oil pump sucks it up.. so in theory yes there is logic

Keep telling yourself that. I understand your reasoning and I did when I first read it, but the difference would be infinitesimal.

RedGalant2k1
05-31-2008, 09:19 PM
well if u use a larger filter the system holds more oil, which in theory means it can spend more time in the oil pan giving it time to cool till the oil pump sucks it up.. so in theory yes there is logic

The oil would actually be spending less time in the oil pan if you used a larger oil filter. The only real way to cool oil is through an oil cooler.

guynlidia2006
05-31-2008, 09:47 PM
The oil would actually be spending less time in the oil pan if you used a larger oil filter. The only real way to cool oil is through an oil cooler.

lol... that is a ghetto oil cooler...

Serstylz2
06-01-2008, 02:19 PM
while on the topic, are people really using oil filter wrenches when changing their filter or just twisting by hand?

Jeffylou87
06-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I use a wrench.. Just to make sure it's nice and tight.

WarmAndSCSI
06-01-2008, 03:07 PM
while on the topic, are people really using oil filter wrenches when changing their filter or just twisting by hand?

If you actually torque your oil filter to factory specs (122 in-lb), you'll need a filter wrench (preferably the kind that actually fits over the end of the filter) to tighten and loosen it.

peanotation
06-01-2008, 03:53 PM

.........because the extra 1/8" in the oil filter is going to allow the oil to sit for another 0.0032 seconds and cool another 0.00002*F.

WarmAndSCSI
06-01-2008, 03:58 PM
.........because the extra 1/8" in the oil filter is going to allow the oil to sit for another 0.0032 seconds and cool another 0.00002*F.

Thank goodness, somebody else understands what I was trying to say...

polishmafia
06-01-2008, 06:19 PM
If you actually torque your oil filter to factory specs (122 in-lb), you'll need a filter wrench (preferably the kind that actually fits over the end of the filter) to tighten and loosen it.

wuss! i can tighten a filter to that spec by hand ;) ;) ;)

DOHCstunr
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I have several options for an oil filter.
the 1g oil filter(huge) the 7g/2g oil filter, the microscopic evo8 oil filter

i run the 1g because its largest, mainly because a larger oil filter will have more surface area for filtration. It might hold a couple ounces more than the 2g/7g oil filter, but i'm more concerned with longevity, and filtration capacity.

Only filters i run are the OEM or the Mobil 1.

as far as my answer to the original poster's question. as long as its the proper application, there might be slight variations from brand to brand; outside of quality, they'll all function the same(of course some are more efficient than others).

Danger DANJ
06-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I usually use OEM filters, but one time I used an aftermarket brand (can't remember which one) and it was a little longer. As long as if fit, it shouldn't matter.