PDA

View Full Version : oil pan drain plug gasket (I4)

cdaw2001ES
08-16-2002, 09:30 PM
I'm preparing to change my oil over to Mobile 1 Full Synth, filter etc..
The Service manual says I need to replace the drain plug gasket.
Well - I've never had a car with a drain plug gasket before, and was curious if you guys think this is necessary, and if so, do local auto shops carry this gasket, or is it a dealer item???

Thanks,

Also throwing in some Bosh Platinum 4 plugs https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
now if I could only find a decent wire set.... (not magnacore)

TJC
08-16-2002, 09:42 PM
Yes you should have it and it's the metal washer that they are referring to. When you remove the drain plug, it's probably smashed in and stuck to the plug itself. Just reuse this but make sure you have it the same way. You shouldn't flip it the opposite side.

cdaw2001ES
08-16-2002, 11:57 PM
Cool, all done, and no leaks.
I took a short low speed drive to my local dairy mart, on my way back, at my favorite stop sign. I WOT'd it - and I can feel those new sparkplugs. Layed a bit more rubber than usual.

My "gasket " stayed firmly atached to the drain plug.

pinoyesv6
08-19-2002, 08:29 PM
i know on the v6 its like a 14mm bolt. im guessing it should be the same for the i4 but don't quote me on that. i paid like 1.50 for like a multi pack of 5 or something. something thats easily overlooked but yea its cheap so it doesn't hurt to get one. do u really need one i would put one in, but unless ur car is leaking oil, i'd wait til the next oil change