PDA

View Full Version : 98 ES Any suggestions????

NOSMAN7G
01-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Alright I just have a few questions. I don't know what to do next....I have an intake, Custom exhaust, Rear and soon getting Shogun Front and side skirts. What should I do?? I just raced a hooked up eclipse (Ground effects the works) of course LOST!! Not too bad I hit 110 and then he was gone. What would you suggest as a good mod?? Should I just swap an 2.0L DOHC turbo from an eclipse?? Well thanx in advance. What to do, What to do?

2True
01-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Well NOS and possibly a Turbo are always valid ideas when you're looking for big gains fast.
If you're planning on staying N/A for now and want to harness the potential of the 4G64.. then I would suggest the Stage 1 Performance Kit from these guys...Here ('http://www.visionimports.com/')

That's the route I am pretty much taking although I am buying things one at a time and not all from the same place and whatnot. There is a website for RPW performance that has great ideas on it but I don't have the link..

oh wait here it is... RPW ('http://www.rpw.com.au/')

NOSMAN7G
01-14-2003, 10:04 AM
Thanx I looked at that site for the stage 1 kit but didn't see the galant in applications. Which one would I need to get or should I just contact them?? Also who makes hoods for the 98?? Thanx again

NOSMAN7G
01-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Alrighty one more question...What DOHC Turbo engine would fit the 98?? I have 5-speed. How hard would it be to do this?? This has probaly been asked but all the older threads just don't give me enough info. All I want is of course MORE POWER..lol. Thanx

seth98esT
01-14-2003, 09:09 PM
4g63t will fit..should bolt up to ur tranny also. do some searchin on the 4g63t swap, craig has talked about it many times. he and kevin(white ghost) both have 4g63t swaps...except kevin is missing the t :biggrin:

2True
01-14-2003, 11:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth)</div><div class='quotemain'>4g63t will fit..should bolt up to ur tranny also. Â*do some searchin on the 4g63t swap, craig has talked about it many times. Â*he and kevin(white ghost) both have 4g63t swaps...except kevin is missing the t :biggrin:</div>

...and the bottom end of the 63 :wink:

NOSMAN7G
01-15-2003, 07:39 PM
This probaly is a dumb question but which car has the 4g63t engine eclipse and if so what years? Thanx

NOSMAN7G
01-15-2003, 07:46 PM
I would need:

4G63T engine
ECU from other car and the wiring harnesses
And what else?? And also does anyone have a NOS setup??? What is the most our engine can take w/o causing problems??

seth98esT
01-15-2003, 08:30 PM
you will aslo need a wiring harnes...unless you want to ghetto rig

NOSMAN7G
01-16-2003, 09:14 AM
I've looked for this engine and found a few but they say there for 4wd. They will still work right??

2True
01-16-2003, 09:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOSMAN7G)</div><div class='quotemain'>I would need:

4G63T engine
ECU from other car and the wiring harnesses
And what else?? Â*And also does anyone have a NOS setup??? Â*What is the most our engine can take w/o causing problems??</div>

I've heard people run a 75 shot of N20 without problems. The basic idea is to run a shot half the value of your cars HP, so in our case about 70. Depends if you go with a wet or a dry setup too I think.

NOSMAN7G
01-16-2003, 07:14 PM
I've been searching older threads and this is what I have come across: To do the swap I need An ECU, Wiring Harnesses, Motor of course is that all? Heres my questions (Sorry to be such a pain)

4g63t- What year and make has this engine??
What Model/Make/Year ECU do I use??
And as for the Harness Just take it iff the car I take the ECU off of, Right?? So were talking about 3-4k then huh??

Also in older threads Pavel Wrote: everything from a 2.0L bolts right onto the 2.4L. So then basically I can buy performance Products such as Fuel rails, Intake and all that from a 2.0L non-Turbo eclipse and everything should bolt on. Did I understand that right?? Again thanx for everyones help.

JiP
01-16-2003, 11:47 PM
I think I posted this somewhere before, the 2.0 and 2.4 block are the same. Mitsu just ported the 2.0 block to get the extra .4 displacement.

So all the 2.0 crap fits on the 2.4, you can take a 4g63 turbo setup and just bolt it right on to the 2.4, the exhuast mani etc all bolts right on. I will be doing this late summer. And if you keep your current ECU you will need an AFC, and a knock sensor and retarding system like a J&s knock module would be good idea.

I wouldnt switch to a 2.0 to go turbo because you'd get more power out of a 2.4 turbo. You can pick up the majority of parts right off ebay really cheap. I am also going to swap our SOHC head to a 2.0 turbo DOHC head, but I need to save up some cash because uh we got screwd with ignition system. The 2.4 eclipse 4g64 has no distributer, so for then they can just swap to DOHC head no problem. We have to get rid of the distributer cap and to do that you have to swap to an eclipse 2.4 4g64 ecu and buy the coil packs. The wiring is almost identicle just have to swap/add like 5 pins, so no need for a new wiring harness. The only pain in my ass is...I cant find a 2.4 ecu from an automatic transmission car on ebay, and I do not want to buy it from the dealer cause it'll be like $500 bucks. I gotta find a good junkyard where I can rip it outmyself and smuggle it out :x

JiP
01-16-2003, 11:48 PM
I think I posted this somewhere before, the 2.0 and 2.4 block are the same. Mitsu just ported the 2.0 block to get the extra .4 displacement.

So all the 2.0 crap fits on the 2.4, you can take a 4g63 turbo setup and just bolt it right on to the 2.4, the exhuast mani etc all bolts right on. I will be doing this late summer. And if you keep your current ECU you will need an AFC, and a knock sensor and retarding system like a J&s knock module would be good idea.

I wouldnt switch to a 2.0 to go turbo because you'd get more power out of a 2.4 turbo. You can pick up the majority of parts right off ebay really cheap. I am also going to swap our SOHC head to a 2.0 turbo DOHC head, but I need to save up some cash because uh we got screwd with ignition system. The 2.4 eclipse 4g64 has no distributer, so for then they can just swap to DOHC head no problem. We have to get rid of the distributer cap and to do that you have to swap to an eclipse 2.4 4g64 ecu and buy the coil packs. The wiring is almost identicle just have to swap/add like 5 pins, so no need for a new wiring harness. The only pain in my ass is...I cant find a 2.4 ecu from an automatic transmission car on ebay, and I do not want to buy it from the dealer cause it'll be like $500 bucks. I gotta find a good junkyard where I can rip it outmyself and smuggle it out :x

NOSMAN7G
01-17-2003, 09:42 AM
So it probaly be less work to just take a Turbo of a 2.0L and bolt it right on. What kind of power will that give me? I recall reading your old posts but don't remember reading about what parts I would have to have to do the turbo swap. What exactly do I need I don't want to start a project like this and then find out I need something important...LOL. Thanx

NOSMAN7G
01-17-2003, 10:06 AM
I've come across a 4G63T engine and it looks so nice..lol. How would this engine do....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400491770&category=6770. :twisted:

2True
01-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Well, besides the tranny being on the wrong side, it looks good. lol

That would take some work, might be easier to find a 63 from a DSM vehicle.

EVO7 motor, that's tight 8)

JiP
01-17-2003, 11:11 AM
http://4g64.150m.com/ ('http://4g64.150m.com/')

That page tells you what you should get for the turbo 4g64.

If your gonna pay someone to swap the engine, ye its easier to just get a 63t, if your gonna do it yourself its not easy, plus you may have to get a g63 ecu and wiring harness and I think with that you have to rewire your fuel pump becuase the triggering mechanism is different. But I still dont understand why you would want to give up a bigger engine in place of a smaller one?

NOSMAN7G
01-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanx for the info I'm not gonna go for the swap..I'll do what you suggest and just do what your gonna do. Stick witht he same 2.4 and then add the turbo. How much HP are we talkin about with the turbo?? Big gains?? Thanx Also is a 4" pipe too big for CAI??

JiP
01-17-2003, 04:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>the turbo?? Big gains?? Thanx Also is a 4" pipe too big for CAI??</div>

You want real info on turbo join 4g64 group on egroups and read through he archive its like the holy grail of 4g64 turbo addons.

4" pipe, I dont think it matters how big but its just hard to work with 4" pipe, if you have the room under your hood then do it. Besides a cAI doesnt do too much for you, if you read ads CAI gives you 5-15hp boost lol, its more like 1-3hp if your lucky. Truthfully I think I got better throttle response with my orginal filter box.

sabzi5858
01-17-2003, 09:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think with that you have to rewire your fuel pump becuase the triggering mechanism is different.</div>

they have the same fuel pump. also, i'm using a 1g ecu and didn't have to rewire anything on the fuel pump (atleast not until i install this supra tt pump i have sitting around), except connect the drive signal from the ecu relay (mpi control relay) to the power for the fuel pump, but that should be the same, if not easier when using a 2g ecu

NOSMAN7G
01-17-2003, 09:40 PM
I went to Home Depot and of course Didn't have what I needed NO pipe or Silicon reducers!! What size pipe should I get?? I've looked at Jcwhitney.com and wasn't sure what size to pick..lol. 45 degree right?? 8 inch was the largest I saw. Would it be better to just relocate the battery and use tubing from the bottom of the front bumper up to the filter giving it the ram air effect?? Also does neone know where to get domed pistons for our car?? Damn so many questions...LOL. :twisted:

bstnsportsfan
01-22-2003, 02:12 PM
Nosman, welcome to the club. Seems you like you have lots of questions on the 4g63 swap, which is great! But you may want to use the search tool http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/search.php ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/search.php') to see if you can find answers in past posts to your question. The 4g63 swap has been discussed 1000 times on this site. If you can still no find your answer, post away!