PDA

View Full Version : something died

Joker96
06-15-2008, 12:55 AM
well today i finally found out what was cousing the horrible backfiring engine, changed plugs and wires and wow its smoooth now. then i went on a little trip and heres where everything happened i was going down a hill in 3rd gear and i was going like at 60mph when suddenly i smell some burning and engine died. tried to turn it back on. no signs just the starter trying to start. soo what went wrong? belt still there complete. any other suggestions to look for?

Galant306m
06-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Check your oil?? Did it over heat?? Drop something into the motor when you were changing the plugs??

Joker96
06-15-2008, 10:17 AM
oil is ok plugs are ok i changed plugs and then ran for around 100miles when this happened. what are the chances for the distributor to be the problem?

chbuzz
06-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Which "belt" is there complete, your referring too? The drive belt? or T-belt?

Joker96
06-15-2008, 12:30 PM
timing belt is there, BUT now that i look the timings belt top cover is broke this is really weird the cover broke but the belt is still there tight

chbuzz
06-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I would start by taking apart the Timing belt side of the engine for a good inspection. If the smell is of burnt plastic smell inside the timing belt cover area its a good chance theres a piece in there.

Joker96
06-22-2008, 03:03 PM
checked theres one of the belts broken in a hundred pieces damn its a thin toothed one.. it broke my belts cover

chbuzz
06-22-2008, 03:51 PM
That would be your balance shaft belt if its not the T-belt itself. How many miles was on your belts? The car still should run if JUST the balance shaft belt broke .. BUT if it screwed up some other things while being shredded then thats another story. You really need to take apart the timing belt area for a look see.

Joker96
06-22-2008, 03:53 PM
so this all means that theres a 100% chance that i have some valves bent? i dont think its the t belt couse its still there complete and tight

peanotation
06-23-2008, 11:11 AM
the balance shaft belt may have gotten caught in the timing belt for a moment, just enough to throw everything off sync, the damn balance shaft belt man...

Joker96
07-16-2008, 06:42 PM
finally today i bought the balance shaft belt . then started removing everything and i found a broken crank timing sensor so i hope this is the problem and not some bent valves

Joker96
07-26-2008, 04:59 PM
ok so i installed the new balance belt and new timing belt and also a new sensor car turned on without any kind of problems vibrations so i guess there are no bent valves BUT theres a weird huming sound that wasnt there b4. how much was I supposed to tension the balance belt? i made it pretty tense.

chbuzz
07-26-2008, 05:29 PM
ok so i installed the new balance belt and new timing belt and also a new sensor car turned on without any kind of problems vibrations so i guess there are no bent valves BUT theres a weird huming sound that wasnt there b4. how much was I supposed to tension the balance belt? i made it pretty tense.
I hope at the very least u replaced the balance belt tensioner while you where in there. I would of replaced(depending on mileage) most of the pulleys/tensioners while it was torn apart. Don't forget to tension the T- belt with MD998767 via the tensioner pulley.

Joker96
07-26-2008, 11:38 PM
i tensioned pretty hard the balance and tbelt. now theres a calking sound that comes outa the engine with the humings sound. i was told it could be the lifters that discharged since the car has been stopped for more than a month also theres a burnt rubber smell

microgalant
07-26-2008, 11:41 PM
wow samething happened to my car once, when it was stock.
balance shaft belt broke and broke the crank sensor

Joker96
08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
ok i just replaced everything everything went good but i notice some weird sound now like some hizzing air or something .also my check engine light went on and i got it scanned it said code p0340. the camshaft position sernsor is brand new and i dont notice any power lose or hard start or anything. so its been a while i had changed my engine oil like about 1 year ago, car been a lot of time without use. so i replaced the oil and as expected oil was really really dark. so I bought some marvel and some castrol gtx added like half a quart of marvel and the rest with oil. the noise seems to have gone away now.. the guy at the store where i bought the sensor said the sensor is ok couse the car starts that it must be something else. what that could be? anyone have a clue?