PDA

View Full Version : Help me out,.....

Los
08-16-2002, 11:32 PM
ok here's the deal. I plan on gettin a muffler and removing my precat. However am I wasting money if I also plan on gettin headers and a custom exhaust in the future. Also what kinda price am I looking to pay for the install on my muffler and removing the precat. I would like to know so I don't get ripped off. Well any imput in better than no imput so thanks in advance,......
carlos
(LOS)

Auto-9
08-17-2002, 12:19 AM
Er...well if I were you I'd just wait and get it all later. But if you're like me it ran me about 50 bucks for install...each time.

TJC
08-17-2002, 03:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Los)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok here's the deal. I plan on gettin a muffler and removing my precat. Â*However am I wasting money if I also plan on gettin headers and a custom exhaust in the future. Also what kinda price am I looking to pay for the install on my muffler and removing the precat. I would like to know so I don't get ripped off. Well any imput in better than no imput so thanks in advance,......
carlos
(LOS)</div>

Yeah, either way is wasted money unless you are going to get some good use with this setup for awhile, like 6 months or more. Mufflers can be had for pretty cheap. But custom piping like test pipes just to get rid of your precats can be expensive b/c of all the labor. If you have to, maybe get a DP if you have a V6, otherwise, best to hold off on the headers and just save up. Then after the headers, finish up with your custom catback as headers will yield the most bang for the buck and by swapping out just the muffler, you'll have good flow already. Upgrade to the catback last. That's probably what I would do.

Fishboy55
08-17-2002, 08:09 AM
Hey Los. Miss seeing you, man. Hope you and the family are doing well. Bet that boy is getting big! You may have some trouble finding a shop to remove your precat without installing a header. First, it's illegal, and second, they're gonna have to do some significant fabrication/welding to replace the missing section where the precat was. Also, there's gonna be the issue of your O2 sensors that will have to be refitted to a replacement pipe that doesn't have a sensor bung. As far as the muffler goes, you can have that installed now, as the headers wont affect that when you get them installed. At the most they may have to shorten the flex pipe a bit when the headers are installed.

If I were you, I'd wait until I get the headers and then get the whole precat/header job done at once. I can recommend a great speed shop in Catonsville that did my prototype. The guy builds race cars for a hobby, and is one of the best mechanics I've ever dealt with. Really knows his stuff. Let me know if I can help you in anyway. Are you gonna be able to join us in Randallstown on 8/25?

Chip