PDA

View Full Version : "Service Engine Soon" light came on

BIGMONEYDAY
01-14-2003, 01:15 PM
I have 140K miles on mile 1999 ES-V6, and today while coming to work my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Does anyone know what might have tiggered this light to come on. I know sometimes these lights might come on due to low fluid levels, and just wanted to know what systems or engine components that this light is tied to that might have tiggered it. I figure if someone here knows where to check for problems, this might save me from having to take it some where to be checked, especially if if something i can fix myself.

BlankMan
01-14-2003, 02:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BIGMONEYDAY)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have 140K miles on mile 1999 ES-V6, and today while coming to work my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Â*Does anyone know what might have tiggered this light to come on. Â*I know sometimes these lights might come on due to low fluid levels, and just wanted to know what systems or engine components that this light is tied to that might have tiggered it. Â*I figure if someone here knows where to check for problems, this might save me from having to take it some where to be checked, especially if if something i can fix myself.</div>

Actually, the SES light - just like the "Check Engine" light on other vehicles - responds directly to emmision control codes. In itself, this covers a wide range of components from the MAS to the downstream O2 sensor and everything in between, including the TPS, IAC valve and other related vacuum components.

It will not come on b/c fluid levels are low.

Stabbing in the dark, your up- or down-stream O2 sensor(s) would be suspect on an engine with 140k. But, like I said, could be any number of components and the best - and only reliable - way to diagnose it is to hook the computer up and see what "code" is being reported.

Hope this helps.

J

BIGMONEYDAY
01-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the input man. I kinda figured that I would have to hook it up to a computer and see what code is being reported. Hopefully, I can stop at Advanced or Autozone in the morning, and they can tell me what's up with my baby.

BlankMan
01-14-2003, 04:28 PM
You bet :thumbsup: and good luck with the diagnotics.

J