PDA

View Full Version : Misfire problem

tci837
06-21-2008, 11:36 AM
OK last week i noticed my car was misfiring so i went to autozone to get the code scanned. The guy told me it was a misfire in cyl #4, so i got 4 new NGK platinum G spark plugs and replaced it with the old ones. O by the way my car is a 4 cyl. Well after replacing them i went out for a drive and noticed that it was still misfiring. Im positive i made sure the gap's on the plugs were nearly perfect. So after that i thought maybe it might be my coils. So i took both of them out and swapped it. Like i put the coil that was on cyl #1 to #3 and the one on #3 to #1. I went back to autozone the next day to get my code read and the guy told me that its still saying cyl #4 was misfiring. So now that i now its not the coilpacks , i bought new wires/boots and changed those out. Well long story short my car is still misfiring from the same cyl. What am i suppose to do now? Can it be a injector/fuel problem? I really dont want to bring it to a mechanic cuz i like to do everything on the car myself.

g-ridda
06-21-2008, 11:46 AM
when u swaped the wires did you reset the ecu/clear the code?

tci837
06-23-2008, 07:56 AM
No I didnt i went to autozone and they said they cant reset the code anymore or some bs like that. Plus the guy told me the code gets reset after a certain time when the problem goes away.

guynlidia2006
06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
keep the coils switched and rest the light... goto a different autozone

pinoyesv6
06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
No I didnt i went to autozone and they said they cant reset the code anymore or some bs like that. Plus the guy told me the code gets reset after a certain time when the problem goes away.

just remove the negative terminal from the battery for a little bit and the light should reset itself.

RedGalant2k1
06-25-2008, 09:24 PM
From what I've seen a random cylinder misfire should be a 'soft' code and one repaired should go off, but in many cases it may need to be cleared. Check the #4 injector if you have a multimeter. If the resistance is above or below 13 - 16 ohms its no good, and needs a new injector. If its ok, than there are a few more steps to diagnostics.