PDA

View Full Version : Painting Break Pads

n3wMaxw3LL
01-14-2003, 06:17 PM
I'm sure people in here have painted there break pads different colors, but how do I do this and is there special paint I would need to use? Does anyone know of a tutorial or post one up? I looked and searched and found nothing. If anyone has any advise that would be splended.

M

jluv97
01-14-2003, 07:20 PM
break pads are not to be painted. Calipers are a different story. You can paint your calipers with hi-temp paint. Just be sure that you clean them really well first.
When doing this it is best to use a brush, so as to eliminate the chance of overspray.

pinoyesv6
01-14-2003, 08:20 PM
pretty much what u do is take off the wheel. spray everything with brake cleaner. then take a scouring pad or some steel wool and clean the brakes off and then wash everything with the brake cleaner. then u mask off the areas that u don't want to get painted. then u paint. i have at least 2 wheels off the ground so that while one brake is drying i can do the other one. do multiple layers til everything looks perfect. if ur good with a spray gun, u can spray but brushign will give u better coverage and less waste. once the paint is semi dry, pop the wheel back on and drive for like 5 mins making sure u use the brake. come home. retorque ur wheels and if there is any paint splatter, wipe them off the wheels. then ur done.

but yea i painted my brakes in 30 degree weather, not that good. it was too cold. imma redo it in the spring.

BLsGalant97
01-14-2003, 10:27 PM
Yeah i was thinking about this too...so they sell high temp paint that is brushable instead of the sprays i always see???

BEAST
01-15-2003, 01:00 PM
You could paint your break pads. Just the outside that is. Not very much will show though. Just make sure you don't get any on the part that touches the caliper though.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>but yea i painted my brakes in 30 degree weather, not that good. it was too cold. imma redo it in the spring.</div>
I did the same thing. Turned out ok but would have been a lot better in the warmer weather.

IllestGalant
01-17-2003, 11:43 PM
If you spray your pads, don't know why but if you do it couldn't do any harm. If anything the stickyness of the paint may help to stick the pad to
the caliper so you'll get less drag on the rotor. Permatex actually sells a spray called disc brake quiet that you spray on the back of the pad to make it stick to the caliper. It''s like a bright shiny blue.

pinoyesv6
01-22-2003, 09:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLsGalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah i was thinking about this too...so they sell high temp paint that is brushable instead of the sprays i always see???</div>

no. i jus spray it into a cup and then brush it on.

BEAST
01-22-2003, 10:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>no. i jus spray it into a cup and then brush it on.</div>
Try and spray your can upside down or tip it as much as you can so more of the paint goes into the cup instead of aerosol. I did that to paint the middle of my hubs and it went of very thin so I turned the can upside down and it went on a lot better.

pinoyesv6
01-22-2003, 11:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>no. i jus spray it into a cup and then brush it on.</div>
Try and spray your can upside down or tip it as much as you can so more of the paint goes into the cup instead of aerosol. I did that to paint the middle of my hubs and it went of very thin so I turned the can upside down and it went on a lot better.</div>

when i spray the can upside down it just clears the valve.

TurboGalant
01-27-2003, 03:18 PM
I rebuilt my calipers, so while they were off the car, I painted them. Real easy to do, hanging from the ceiling in the garage, with high temp spray paint. Looks great. Did the drums too. They were even easier. Pops right off the back, cleaned the brakes with cleaner then repainted the drums. Had to use some paint remover (aircraft paint remover from O'Reilly's works great) to get the black coating off it first. That would not come off when I peat blasted it.

I would suggest using a high temp clear coat to top it off. Makes it easy to keep your brake parts clean. (I used a high temp chrome, which looked really good until I put the clear coat on, then it dulled somewhat - but now it almost matches the car - silver)