PDA

View Full Version : Painting Covers/Caps

Aztec
01-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Does the paint come off(fake off) the covers / caps of the coolant reserve and window washing fluid with the heat from the car? What paint should I use ?

Fishboy55
01-15-2003, 08:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aztec)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does the paint come off(fake off) Â*the covers / caps of the coolant reserve and window washing fluid with the heat Â*from the car? What paint should I use ?</div>
Hey Aztec, No, it will stay on pretty well since you're painting plastic. Just make sure you prep the surface of each first by cleaning it well and then lightly sanding. You can use any kind of enamal paint, but the 500 degree paint has the best gloss to it and may eliminate the need for clear coat.

Chip

Aztec
01-15-2003, 11:03 AM
thanks for the info !!

Have you ever tried chorme paint? I wonder how it looks ?

pinoyesv6
01-15-2003, 11:04 AM
testors model paint works great. uhm i just used a sharpie on mine to accent the markings on the caps. i like the look. it holds up to the heat. i did my valve cover too. its a 5-10 minute job to do. the only downside is that the sharpie washes off when u clean the engine bay, but i won't be doing that til the spring

Fishboy55
01-15-2003, 11:21 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aztec)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks for the info !!

Have you ever tried chorme paint? I wonder how it looks ?</div>
Chrome paint looks like silver. You won't ever get a chrome like finish out of it, no matter what the can says.

Chip

Aztec
01-15-2003, 01:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aztec)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks for the info !!

Have you ever tried chorme paint? I wonder how it looks ?</div>
Chrome paint looks like silver. You won't ever get a chrome like finish out of it, no matter what the can says.

Chip</div>
I had a feel feeling about that! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Aztec
01-15-2003, 01:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>testors model paint works great. uhm i just used a sharpie on mine to accent the markings on the caps. i like the look. it holds up to the heat. i did my valve cover too. its a 5-10 minute job to do. the only downside is that the sharpie washes off when u clean the engine bay, but i won't be doing that til the spring</div>

Why not use brushes and black paint to accent the markings. Or even a piece of thin wood or plastic. It sounds ghetto but it works. just take your time.

mrjaydeeone
01-15-2003, 05:01 PM
I used left over high temp engine paint that I used on my drums and calipers
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/pa6c52d5721ba98a5f6bb117af66b3a61/fd3f804b.jpg

pinoyesv6
01-15-2003, 08:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aztec)</div><div class='quotemain'>Why not use brushes and black paint to accent the markings. Or even a piece of thin wood or plastic. It sounds ghetto but it works. just take your time.</div>

yea i know about paint but u know when ur just sitting around the house got nothing to do. well yea i had a sharpie and my pocket and a great urge to work on my car. painting works great but its too cold to paint things anyways. gonna do this metallic blue look in my engine bay in a few months

Khopari
01-16-2003, 01:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aztec)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does the paint come off(fake off) Â*the covers / caps of the coolant reserve and window washing fluid with the heat Â*from the car? What paint should I use ?</div>
Hey Aztec, No, it will stay on pretty well since you're painting plastic. Just make sure you prep the surface of each first by cleaning it well and then lightly sanding. You can use any kind of enamal paint, but the 500 degree paint has the best gloss to it and may eliminate the need for clear coat.

Chip</div>

hey fishboy what kind of sand paper you recommend for the sanding.

Fishboy55
01-16-2003, 01:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(khopari)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aztec)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does the paint come off(fake off) Â*the covers / caps of the coolant reserve and window washing fluid with the heat Â*from the car? What paint should I use ?</div>

Chip</div>

hey fishboy what kind of sand paper you recommend for the sanding.</div>
hey khopari, I'd recommend something light to just ruff up the surface. You don't want to sand the raised letters off. Go with 1000 or 1500 grit and wet sand it..

Chip

Khopari
01-16-2003, 01:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(khopari)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aztec)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does the paint come off(fake off) Â*the covers / caps of the coolant reserve and window washing fluid with the heat Â*from the car? What paint should I use ?</div>

Chip</div>

hey fishboy what kind of sand paper you recommend for the sanding.</div>
hey khopari, I'd recommend something light to just ruff up the surface. You don't want to sand the raised letters off. Go with 1000 or 1500 grit and wet sand it..

Chip</div>

ok last question where can i get the oem silver color. the one that is use for the dash.??????????????????????

pinoyesv6
01-16-2003, 05:54 PM
steel wool works great for roughening up the surface. but nonetheless, all u pretty much have to do is make sure the part is clean. and then paint. the paint will stick on if the surface is clean. if u are unsure about a paint, paint one cap and see how it turns up. u don't wanna try some newfangled paint, paint all the caps and watch them melt up or something like that.

Aztec
01-17-2003, 12:14 PM
is a base coat needed? Primer ?

pinoyesv6
01-17-2003, 12:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aztec)</div><div class='quotemain'>is a base coat needed? Primer ?</div>

i rally don't think so with the caps. maybe the fuse box cover since its black, especially if u are gonna paint over it with a lighter color.