PDA

View Full Version : Painting carbon hood and trunk

2kgalant
06-26-2008, 03:00 AM
So is this more difficult to paint? Kinda getting tired of the race look and just wanted to color match everything. I'm a little concerned though. I've had my hood for a while and its developed some waves here and there. Can the bodyshop smooth all that out before they paint it? I know the carbon has tiny pores too. Should any good bodyshop be able to paint these and make it look good? Or is it not even worth the trouble?

RedGalant2k1
06-26-2008, 04:00 AM
Any good body shop should be able to strip the clearcoat and repaint the hoods no problem. But it some cases, yes it may just be easier to use stock hood and trunk. It really depends on your choice, and the quality of the body shop doing the work.

ericbla03
06-26-2008, 05:28 AM
So is this more difficult to paint? Kinda getting tired of the race look and just wanted to color match everything. I'm a little concerned though. I've had my hood for a while and its developed some waves here and there. Can the bodyshop smooth all that out before they paint it? I know the carbon has tiny pores too. Should any good bodyshop be able to paint these and make it look good? Or is it not even worth the trouble?

Yes, a good body shop can paint it.

But the waves that you are describing can probably not be taken care of unless they prime and block the hood. Same with the pinholes, it would have to be primed and blocked, or filled with putty.

So you are probably better off just getting OEM parts, unless you're really concerned about weight savings.