PDA

View Full Version : my 7g: project holy s#!% fast

ct96mitsug
06-26-2008, 05:37 PM
well i havent been on here on a while so i should spread my current project with all of you. i bought my 96 galant 3 years ago. since then i turboed the 4g64 with a turbonetics 50 trim, full supporting mods, etc bla bla. i was never really happy with it though. (it was auto btw) last year a bought a 1g talon tsi awd also to play with :). i loved that car to death and i pretty much ignored the galant after that. anybody here who has ever driven an awd turbo, its an amazing feeling. well last febuary during a snow storm i lost control and hit a tree, destroying the car and alomst killing me. so now ive been on the galant again. i still wanted that feeling i got from the talon but i still loved to galant. so i decided to combine the 2. i am apart of a dsm performance shop in MA where ill be working on the galant. the kid who ownes it does amazing work and has worked on dsms his whole life. me, being a fabricater/welder am very capable of doing custom work etc. so i decided to do something that hasnt been done before (to my knowledge, correct me if im wrong) i am making a usdm 7g awd 6 bolt 4g63 5sp galant.
things that im doing:
-converting to 5sp (shep stage3)
-converting to awd (4 bolt rear)
-6 bolt 2.3 stroker, with stg6 slowboy 1g head
-converting to 2g eprom ecu w/ dsmlink
-rear fuel cell
-roll cage
and a few other things that are my little secret ;)

my goal is to have the worlds fastest 7g galant. and i will do it. i dont wanna hear any crap from people about this. it can be done and will be done. i already have alot of the parts ready including the motor and turbo which cost me over $5k. i would love to hear suggestions and comments from everybody. i will keep a log of the whole project and take many pics. if u have any questions or wanna try something that im doing feel free to ask and i will gladly help.

9G
06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
You can do it!

greddy
06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Post pic of your progress, this would be an awesome build to watch.

phizzalot
06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
IT will be difficult to be the worlds FASTEST 7g cause of all the from factor awd 7g jdm galants out there but you will be the first in the states to do the conversion.
I believe it is very possible to do with a 2g eclipse but with enough patience and time a 1g shouldn't be that hard to make work...

Good luck and post pics of your progress!!!

RedGalant2k1
06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Well glad you are ok, and nothing really to add other than good luck.

Its a much easier swap with the 7G considering its closeness to the 1G/2G Eclipses. Sounds like you got a great start and idea of what you are getting into. And if you are a good fabricator than you should be able to overcome having to tub the galant for the rear driveshaft and the trunk for the rear axles.

PogiGreg
06-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Wow!!! I am doing a Turbo project of my own with a 4G63. Not to the extent of your project though. Keep us posted. I am most interest. Tell me about your stroker kit? Who did you get it from? I was thinking of stroking my engine while I have it out.

ct96mitsug
06-26-2008, 09:20 PM
well the stroker kit is bassically ross pistons 7.5:1 cr, manley rods, 6 bolt bc crank, clevite bearings, arp studs, the works. the head took about 2 months at a local machine shop actually. all manley internals. titanium valvesprings and retainers, manley 1mm oversize valves and i havent decided on cams yet but probably gonna do hks 288's. (motor is capable of 900+hp)

and i have experience with helping people swap 2g eclipses to awd. the galant is very similar except i need a custom driveshaft made, no big deal.

seth98esT
06-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Do you think there is enough room in the exhaust tunnel to hold a driveshaft and a performance exhaust(or stock and a cutout or o2 dump)?

If it isnt, can always widen the tunnel since you have a lot of fab skills. Definitely keep us updated and lots of pics!

DOHCstunr
06-26-2008, 09:32 PM
well the stroker kit is bassically ross pistons 7.5:1 cr, manley rods, 6 bolt bc crank, clevite bearings, arp studs, the works. the head took about 2 months at a local machine shop actually. all manley internals. titanium valvesprings and retainers, manley 1mm oversize valves and i havent decided on cams yet but probably gonna do hks 288's. (motor is capable of 900+hp)

and i have experience with helping people swap 2g eclipses to awd. the galant is very similar except i need a custom driveshaft made, no big deal.

don't even really need a custom driveshaft less you wanted to take it down to a two piece.

you would just need a run of the mill 2g driveshaft modified and extended, and rebalanced of course.
Probably cost bout 100 bucks at your typical driveshaft shop.

ct96mitsug
06-26-2008, 09:40 PM
ya but i wanna have a brand new one made to fit perfect thats gonna handle the power im gonna be making. a stock 2g driveshaft thats been modified with that much stress is just looking for troublle. and seth, im not worried about room/fitment im running a cutout anyway its its gonna be side exit. the exhaust isnt even gonna go all the way out the back anyway.

Ivory8g
06-26-2008, 10:18 PM
wow all I have to say is I totally wanna see it done! sounds like you have plenty resources to do it! GL

kolio
06-27-2008, 12:08 AM
sounds good. the only thing i can think of is any issues with the 4 bolt rear.

TAKE LOTS OF PICS!!!!!!

fatal1
06-27-2008, 12:58 AM
sounds like a fun project good luck,

E_Emerson88
06-27-2008, 03:05 AM
good luck, dont forget to post pics. looking forward to results

ct96mitsug
06-27-2008, 05:10 PM
thanks guys, im lookin forward to finishing this project but i think its gonna be a long one lol. i already did the easy part: taking everything apart. its just a shell right now. no motor, no tranny, nothin. ill take pics tommorow.

tom04841
06-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I think one of the bigger obsticles is going to be getting the 1g rear end to work with the G since it has a different suspension setup. If the spline count is the same for the 1g and 2g axle where it goes thru the spindle, you may be able to just do the rear disk conversion w/ 2g parts. Definately interested to watch your progress.

hk20000
07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
I just ran into this post by random. I have a 7G VR4 Galant so it's 4WD as it sits here and I know where I can find another Galant VR4 with its driveshaft intact and sitting in a junkyard.

if you need anything from it let me know I'm shipping my VR4 (which turned out to have just burned a headgasket, no biggie) into Canada using a container and I could ship with me a spare 7G rear subframe, rear end and driveshaft if that's what you are interested. PM me I can send you pics of the parts. Oh it will come with a rear steering rack that is used for the 4 wheel steering but I think you can modify the subframe to fit your regular 7G rear tie rods...I have the JDM CAPS system and I crosschecked a lot of things between a real AWD Galant VR4 and a 2G DSM:

1. the driveshaft is not the same
2. the fuel tank is the same as a 2G AWD Eclipse
3. the rear differential housing is the same (both LSD units, by logic)

The rest you'll have to get creative with and get them yourself.

I'm not sure about the world's fastest 7G Galant because a factory 7G VR4 will run down the quartermile at 12.6seconds with the 6 cylinder engine....watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPM4jVNe0Pw
here is a skid video of the same VR4 to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside about 4WD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsktvvUBNRA&NR=1

and there are plenty of modded versions of that out there with the 6 pot motor from Kiwiland....at least a 10 second build is necessary to get any attention from your 7G build....

But it's not a bad thing to look high! Eventually I'll be doing the same project as what you are doing, only I will be able to start with a standard JDM VR4 and my goal is, instead of the fastest in the world, I want it to be the most unique in North America....something like 11 second 6bolt 4G63 powered WITH air conditioning and powersteering, automatic climate control and RHD to boot.

easy enough to obtain, I think, with regular 7G bits and pieces and some boost-up shenanigans....but more about my swap later. PM me for any JDM AWD 7G parts you might need.

Stewi
07-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Are you going to run nitrous? 7.5:1 comp is wayyyy low, your gonna need to spin that motor to 5500 just to spool that turbo and rev to 9,000 to have track useable power. Might I suggest going with the double valve springs because revving that high is going to kill the single valve springs (if thats what you have, you didnt specify)

dwjp90
07-19-2008, 01:23 PM
here is a skid video of the same VR4 to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside about 4WD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsktvvUBNRA&NR=1

damm love that sound pssssht

greddy
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
any updates on the build?

ZigenScarface
10-11-2008, 07:00 PM
rick rolled?

Galant306m
10-14-2008, 01:21 AM
pic's or it didn't happen.

ct96mitsug
11-18-2008, 04:01 PM
sorry havent been on in awhile, projects still under way but very slowly because im working on my talon at the same time and moneys kinda short right now, plus im helping a friend with his 1g so im very busy. bassically engine bay is stripped and is getting painted to match car, interior is about back together and im wating on my tranny to get back from shep. my gf kinda broke my camera so gotta work on that

audio_uphoria
11-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Keep us updated, I really wanna see how it all goes.

Galanttuner10
11-18-2008, 10:40 PM
yes do keep us up 2 date cuz i am interested as i have a 7g i plan on building as well but have the same probs u do.. im building friends cars so mine so on hold