PDA

View Full Version : Stupid carwash!!!!

Arty_Harvy
06-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Been going to this carwash in my town for oer 2 years and ive never had an issue. Well today, they destroyed my Volks! They used something thry call Wheel Brite, and it ate the finish off the lip of my rims. All they sold me is that it would be taken care of. What should I do??? Ill have to post pics later, photobucket is acting funny.

9G
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
if they are taking care of it then let them take care of it.

if they cant restore it, ask them to replace it.

Shadow19
06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
if you had a friend with a similar finish on their rims and want new rims or something maybe u could get them to go there but take pictures before hand to have proof. I know when walmart fucked my rims up all i had to do was go to a few tire shops and get their opinion on the damage done and have them contact my case worker. 1 week later i received a check in the mail for 555 bucks. I only paid 430 for the rims anyways ;-)

8g831
06-27-2008, 02:07 PM
thats why i never trust carwash's now..last time i went they scratched my rims..so now i just wash it myself now lol

VegasMatt
06-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Hand wash it yourself.. :)

Arty_Harvy
06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h139/Shaft540/G-Spot/CIMG0467.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h139/Shaft540/G-Spot/CIMG0468.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h139/Shaft540/G-Spot/CIMG0471.jpg
any ideas?

greddy
06-27-2008, 03:42 PM
damn dude, that sucks, especially on volks, that happened to the gunmetal rims on my Supra, they were the JDM rims that I paid an arm and a leg for, and the car wash gave them that same affect, accept it was all over the rim, not just the lip. I ended up sanding them down and repainting them, but I wash my cars myself since then.

Serstylz2
06-27-2008, 03:55 PM
I think you can polish and restore them as well though

greddy
06-27-2008, 04:26 PM
I tried that on mine, it didn't get all the swirls and marks out, so I just sanded and painted again.

fatal1
06-27-2008, 04:27 PM
yea that should be able to polish out and if it doesnt a wheel shop would be able to fix the lip for you at a reasonable price...you sre supposed to check and see if it will effect the finish before you use it it usually says what is good and not on the bottle im surprised they didnt even look

dronesurfboards
06-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Your Volks should have a clearcoat on them, so you should be able to clean that up no problem. If not take the clearcoat off and really get them polished! The shops near my house repolish for like 30 bucks a wheel, so its not too bad. I love Volks, They are so light and nice! I want some GT-U's in gold.

4-G-rim
06-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Wow...that must hurt especially how expensive Volks are. This is one of the reasons I refuse to go to car washes. The detergents in the soaps and cleaners are a bit harsh on certain painted surfaces and finishes. I saw it alot when I used to work for a dealer after customers would go through gas station gas washes and standalone car washes.

WhiteGalant
06-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Try some mothers polish that should take it right off

RedGalant2k1
06-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Arty, get a product called "Never-Dull" its by far the best metal cleaning or polish availible. Trust me, I've used in on hundreds of wheels to bring the finish back to near perfect. If it can't clean the wheels than nothing can.

http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/washthecar/images/large/1035605.jpg

Any place that sells Eagle One should have it in stock. And as others said, thats exactly why I hand wash my car when the 19s are on. I'm not rolling through any carwash even if its a hand wash with these.

4-G-rim
06-28-2008, 12:42 AM
I will agree with Redgalant on that Eagle One NevrDull. It is great stuff.

Stewi
06-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Yeah its a clear coat on the lip, I had the same thing happen to my old Racing Hart C5's from a car wash, I didnt give a shit though because 3 of the 4 rims were bent already. Yay for NY potholes!

I would personally mask off the painted area, use some type of solvent to remove all of the clear from the lip and then have a body shop re-clear the wheel or polish the lip. Hell maybe they will pay for new wheels and then you can just fix the old ones and pocket the cash or buy new ones and sell the old ones.

Reelax
06-28-2008, 01:37 AM
i feel your pain. at least the carwash i go to is used to handwashing exotics/supercars etc. so they use the same products when they was mine... but car washes cost me $25 minimum just for the wash. i have volks too (19x8.5 SF-winning) and i would be pretty upset if the lips got damaged like that.

if you had a friend with a similar finish on their rims and want new rims or something maybe u could get them to go there but take pictures before hand to have proof. I know when walmart fucked my rims up all i had to do was go to a few tire shops and get their opinion on the damage done and have them contact my case worker. 1 week later i received a check in the mail for 555 bucks. I only paid 430 for the rims anyways ;-)

u realize his volks are around $500+ per rim right?

Yeah its a clear coat on the lip, I had the same thing happen to my old Racing Hart C5's from a car wash, I didnt give a shit though because 3 of the 4 rims were bent already. Yay for NY potholes!

I would personally mask off the painted area, use some type of solvent to remove all of the clear from the lip and then have a body shop re-clear the wheel or polish the lip. Hell maybe they will pay for new wheels and then you can just fix the old ones and pocket the cash or buy new ones and sell the old ones.

the way volk multi pieces are made, it's kinda hard to mask off the painted area... they need to be completely dissasembled to do any painting (spoke face removed from rim). there is a section behind the lip that the spokes attach to but the face also has it's own "bent" circle where it mounts to that circular section of the rim, which needs to be clear coated as well. u can kind of see what i'm talking about in the pictures of the damage... all those allen head bolts are real, and have to be removed to get the face out of the way to re-clear.

Arty_Harvy
06-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Wow, I really appriciate all the great ideas. I spoke to the car wash owner today who was not present when the damage was done, and we decided I would take them to a rim shop I know of in Jacksonville. On pick up he would go with me and cover the bill. I want to have them disassembled and re surfaced. The damage is invisable from over 5 feet away but its still BS!!

RedGalant2k1
06-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I would seriously try the never dull first, its like $6 per can, and well worth it. But if the shop owner is willing to cover it, you may as well see what your local wheel shop says also.

chbuzz
07-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Hand wash it yourself.. :)

+1
My G has never gone thru a carwash and NEVER will.