PDA

View Full Version : tranny question

95galant-s
01-15-2003, 07:32 AM
im having my tranny rebuilt and its been in the shop for over 3 weeks now. for the past week the mech keeps saying he didnt finish yet cause he's having trouble priming the pump. is this a genuine problem when rebuilding or it bs? even if it is a problem i wouldnt you think a week is more than enough time to remedy it?

95galant-s
01-15-2003, 05:28 PM
figures the day i complain is the day i get my car back :? the guy ended up replacing the pump.

manybrews
01-15-2003, 06:31 PM
its not a problem. in fact, its never happened. im not surprised to hear the pump would need replacing if it would not function correctly.

Nyr0283
01-15-2003, 09:10 PM
how much did it cost you to rebuild your tranny... it looks like i might have to rebuild mine as well if i want to keep the G.

95galant-s
01-15-2003, 09:38 PM
it cost me $1640 with a one year warranty which isnt that bad compared to other quotes ive gotten. just put 100 miles on it after i got it back today and its working great. the only strange thing ive noticed is that it still downshifts itself on occasion, though not nearly as frequently as before. it mostly does it when im on the brakes pretty hard and sometimes when im doing about 30 and let off the gas and just coast. dont know whats up with that.

BEAST
01-15-2003, 10:06 PM
I got mine in for a little over $1500. I got a year warrenty too. I had mine in the shop for like 3 weeks. They put it together and took it apart like 3 times. They were having mad troubles with it. They finally had to order me a completely new tranny to rebuild because they couldn't fix mine. They said that that was like the 3rd time they had ever had to do that with. Mine is already messin around on me. Has rough downshifts and when I floor it off the line it feels like it's slippin or something. Really kills me when I'm racin.

manybrews
01-15-2003, 11:02 PM
it downshifts occasionally because of the "fuzzy logic" controller. its got 5 different shift patterns to choose from, and it downshifts if it thinks youre travelling up or downhill, as well as a few other things.

95galant-s
01-16-2003, 03:00 PM
after driving my car again today i noticed quite a few things im not too happy with. it seems to hesitate quite a bit shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it wont downshift unless you almost floor it. maybe it just needs some throttle position adjustment or something, thats just my guess. the place i brought it to requires you to bring your car back after two weeks so they can check it for leaks and stuff and if you dont it voids your warranty, so im just gonna see if he can adjust it or something. but hey, at least my car moves now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

manybrews, the thing about the occasional downshifts makes sense. could having the tp adjusted possibly cure that too? not that it bothers me all that much, its just weird to have an a/t downshift on you instead of free-wheeling when you nail the brakes. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

manybrews
01-16-2003, 11:35 PM
theres no way the throttle position sensor needs adjusting unless someone royally screwed it up. if it hasnt been touched, its fine.

also, its almost not possible to adjust it so much as to screw up shift patterns.

now, if its failing, thats a different story. but that would usually pop a "check engine" light.

95galant-s
01-19-2003, 03:42 PM
wow the tranny guy i go to must be really messed in the head cause he told me that the reason it would downshift like that was because of the tp being out of adjustment. lol...... i know nothing about these trannys period (other than the fact that they break often) im used to my 700r4 in my truck which we spent an hour of road-testing getting the cable in the right spot so it would shift correctly.

in the past two days the downshifting issue has come back with a vengence. is it really an issue? i know what you said caused it, but is it a bad thing or do all of them do it no matter what? i want to know so i can talk to the mech if it is a problem that needs to be addressed.