PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my INJEN short ram

boochieboy
07-10-2008, 05:51 PM
So I FINALLY got my injen short ram after a month and a half of waiting on back-order. For some reason like 200 people bought them all within 2 days from the site I ordered mine from, and I prepaid so all I could do is wait,,,and wait,,,and wait. But it finally arrived last weekend and I'm gonna put it in this sunday. This is really my first "performance" mod other than a strut bar, and I know an intake is a pretty simple install and I'm sure I'll have no problems with a quality product from INJEN but does anyone have any installation tips or "don't do's" from past experiences? I already know about putting a piece of silicone tubing or something over the battery clamp threaded rod to keep it from rubbing on the piping......anything else I should be aware of? Thanks for any input.

pinoyesv6
07-10-2008, 08:52 PM
if your intake is rubbing on the battery tie down posts, then you installed it wrong.

boochieboy
07-11-2008, 06:40 AM
I haven't installed it yet, but I'm gonna slide a piece of tubing over the battery tie down post just in case things were to somehow wiggle loose over time, to keep it from doing any damage until I noticed it.......it's going in this sunday....I would put it in right now,,, but I want to take care of some rust in the engine compartment (specifically under the stock intake) first, and it takes a day for the rust converter to dry before I can paint,,,,and then another day for that to dry.

ricky_db
07-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Pics

boochieboy
07-11-2008, 06:52 AM
what do you want pics of?

boochieboy
07-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Update...I got the intake installed last saturday, and let me say, I did run into 2 problems. First of all, I did read the instructions many times over and think I could've done it blindfolded by the time I went to install it. Anyway, the first problem I ran into almost immediately. I slipped the 90 degree elbow on the throttle body as far as it would go on and tightened the clamp on it. I then slipped the primary intake pipe into the 90 degree elbow,,,,also as far as it would go. The problem arose when I went to line up the bracket on the intake with the bolt holding the 2 ground wires on the camshaft cover. For me to mount that bracket to that bolt I literally had to push the primary intake pipe back towards the firewall so much that the 90 degree elbow got a severe kink in it.. I knew something had to be wrong,,, I took everything back apart and flipped the 90 degree elbow on the throttle body to the other end and tried re-mounting the bracket to that bolt,,,,same thing,,severe kink in the elbow. everything was as far into that elbow as possible and that damn bracket still didn't line up,, so, i scratched my head for a while and went over the instructions again,,, I was doing everything correctly and lining the bracket up with the correct bolt as specified in the injen instruction sheet, and didn't know what to do,, so I tried lining the bracket up on the next closest bolt on the camhaft cover (bolt that was more towards the headlights than the firewall) and it lined up perfectly, and took all the strain/kink out of the elbow, like it was supposed to mount to that bolt and not the one injen specified (bolt holding ground wires)....so I was like ok, maybe they called out for the wrong mounting point in the instructions. I continued with the installation and everything was fine until i ran into the second problem. when I went to put the filter on it was so close it was actually touching the back of the headlight housing. At that point I was stuck again,,,if I used the bolt specified in the instructions to mount the thing to, the elbow kinked, if I used the bolt that it seemed I should have been using to mount it, the filter was touching the headlight housing....I looked at it for a while and decided I could not have the elbow to the throttle body kinked like it was, so I used the other bolt and measured how far back I wanted the filter from the headlight housing (as it was touching now). i disassembled the whole thing and cut 3/8" off the primary intake pipe,,,,then took the end of it to a disc sander and finally filed the inside and outside edges to remove any burs. I re-installed it and now had the clearance I needed ( the filter was now about 1/2" away from the headlight housing and wasn't touching anything) and i was satisfied with everything....What the hell happened??? I shouldn't have had to use a different mounting point and cut 3/8" of the intake off to get it to fit, but trust me, there was no other way,,,,I'm not an idiot, and did everything correctly,,,do you think the bracket was off? That's all I could assume, has anyone else ever had this problem with their injen S.R.I? Pics of the installed intake on myspace, profile name---zero cool Or check my profile on here.

keta11
07-18-2008, 07:06 PM
^^ damn bro you mind editing that a little bit? we will need a ruler just to read that.

boochieboy
07-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Ya, I know, but i wanted to explain it fully so you guys didn't think I was just some idiot that didn't know how to put an intake in.

jlfisher360
10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
ive had that same problem. i just installed mine today and ran into the same kink issue.

boochieboy
10-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Did you have to do what I did to fix it (use the next closest bolt to mount the bracket and shave off a lil on the end of the piping)?

jlfisher360
10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
no i just left it until i can do something b/c i don't want to cut it. i also have the problem of it rubbing against the battery but i fixed that by buying a rubber hose(about half a inch in diameter) and wrapped it around the battery.

boochieboy
10-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I really didn't want to cut mine either, but I only cut off 3/8" from the end,,,,,if tou take your time and whatnot like I did you can't even tell I cut mine, unless you measured the pipe....looks like how I bought it.

4g63lover
10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
are you I4 or V6, there might be slight variations with the intake for each engine type.

platano
10-03-2008, 11:55 AM
^^ damn bro you mind editing that a little bit? we will need a ruler just to read that.

lololol
damn, i'm putting that in my sig that was funny

boochieboy
10-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I have an I4, and like I said above I HAD to cut the pipe,,,there was no other way, Injen really pissed me off that day.

Galante
10-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Any pics?

4g63lover
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I have an I4, and like I said above I HAD to cut the pipe,,,there was no other way, Injen really pissed me off that day.

odd, I have the short ram for the I4 and I didnt need to do any cutting or anything at all. it just bolted up and it went.

dwjp90
10-03-2008, 05:25 PM
i cut my BOOT a little to keep mine from kinking (ebay brand tho)

boochieboy
10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Well, I did all this back in July and I didn't take pics of the kinked elbow/bracket not lining up. There are no problems now that the pipe was cut and everything is the way it should be. Here's some pics I took the day I put it in back in July,,,,,this is how everything fits now
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=161
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=151
Filter no longer touching the back of the headlight
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=149