PDA

View Full Version : clicking sound

2kgalant
07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
so when i just let my car idle, sometimes i can hear this clicking sound that comes from the engine somewhere. I don't know where its coming from but its irritating. Is something wrong? How do i fix this?

ni2
07-10-2008, 06:41 PM
You may have the dreaded Mitsubishi lash adjuster tick. These little things tend to get clogged and then start ticking. Does click go away after it warms up?

2kgalant
07-10-2008, 06:48 PM
yeah, seems like that. is this a serious problem? how do i get rid of it?

youngin3
07-10-2008, 06:49 PM
It could be a motor mount. Mine does this, but it is more of a rattle instead of a clicking sound.

2kgalant
07-10-2008, 06:54 PM
i already replaced my motor mounts. I notice the ticking sound goes faster with the revs. but yeah, mostly when the car is just started. Goes away sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. how much am i looking at to fix this problem?

kolio
07-11-2008, 12:38 AM
you got to get bigger or revised lifters. mine do it sometimes, i added some lucas oil stabalizer and it went away. try that first

RAZ_76
07-11-2008, 12:44 AM
You are talking bout the famous lifter tick which is kinda normal with these cars. I would not worry about it too much, besides being annoying, it wont hurt anything.

2kgalant
07-11-2008, 03:27 AM
You are talking bout the famous lifter tick which is kinda normal with these cars. I would not worry about it too much, besides being annoying, it wont hurt anything.
is it just with mitsubishi?

RedGalant2k1
07-11-2008, 08:13 AM
is it just with mitsubishi?

No, its not.

What oil and oil filters are you using? I'd suggest OEM Mitsubishi filters.

ni2
07-11-2008, 11:55 AM
As time goes by the problem is going to get worse. My GTZ started with a slight tick that would only be herd immediately after you start the car. Now its loud and clear till it warms up. Also, I hear the problem is worse in the winter. Im going to clean mine in the next week. The original lash adjusters have a 1mm hole for oil to flow through ( revised ones have 3mm hole). It easily clogs and after 145k miles I have two lash adjusters that are driving me crazy. With regard to risk of engine damage, from what I have read on this list it seems that many people are driving with the ticking until it gets so annoying that they fix the problem. I don't recall hearing that any damage was caused as a result of driving with this condition but you have to consider that the louder the ticking the more abuse the parts are going to take. When I went to the dealer they were reluctant to give me an estimate due to the amount of work that was needed on the the V6. If you have the 4 cylinder its probably much easier.