PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the better turbo setups

Lazarus
01-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Looking for a turbo to bold on to a 1st Gen manifold....for a friend :twisted:

DJ Galant
01-17-2003, 02:09 AM
does his 1g manifold goes on the 4g64 engine?
if so, defeniately stay away from t-25 turbo.
i use 16g maifeslf and let me tell you - it is awesome turbo cuz it spools at 2700 rmp and spools all the way till 6000 *due to our auto trannies).

I am not sure about t3/t4 (he has the small one) how they would work on our big displament 2.4 liter engine - plus they spool about 3500 rmp (on my firiends eclipse gsx)....but they have great power at high rmps - but we can't even go that high so i am not sure about that...unless you would spray on it to avoid the ladg..
I think personally this is a good topic to discuss - what is the right turbo on our engine...

Lazarus
01-17-2003, 05:45 AM
Hey he has someone who has a TD05H For Sale the that I'm trying to talk him into depending on what it looks like. Haven't got a price yet. but the guy lives around the corner so we can see it before he buys it.plus an install kit the. I'd rather get it new but he is working on a budget.

Also what's the difference betwee ported and unported. and about how much is it to port?(if you bought it unported)

ken inn
01-17-2003, 11:07 AM
a td05h is a TYPE of turbo. stock on the 1g cars is the 14b, there is also the small and big 16g. porting aint gonna do much below 10 psi, with your weak trans, it may actually hurt. when you port, one of the things you get is a bit more boost faster. more stress on weak components. i get full boost(17 lbs) at 3500 rpm in 1st gear, much lower rpms in the other gears. thats a LOT of power if the trans cant take it. you might be much better off getting full boost at a higher rpm.

Lazarus
01-18-2003, 11:30 AM
yeha it's a 14b. My friend with a 4cylinder Eclipse has one and he says it runs well over 20lbs of boost easy. But we're not looking to put that much power into the car. to much work. We're looking to get 10-15lbs of boost max. It's a 14b, but some of the other 1st Gen Eclipses say it's going to be a pain to fit the 14b/16g on a 4G64 engine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by 90GSX
I suggest you use a Stock 2G Turbo, the T25. There are a few simple reasons for this:

1. You'll be running realtively low boost on the 4G64 in your 8th Gen Galant; I suggest no more than 10psi, IF you have plenty of fuel mods (pump, regulator, AFC) The T25 will work well at this low boost level.

2. The compressor outlet on the 14b/16g will be angled directly towards the head, which will make fabricating a lower intercooler pipe VERY difficult. The Comp. Outlet on the T25 will point towards the driver side, at the bottom, and will allow you to use a stock 2G SMIC, in the drivers fender well, relatively easily. Â*

3. T25's are inexpensive and easily had if you know someone who is modding a 2G GST/X.

Some other issues to cover: You'll need to bolt the turbo to the manifold 180 degrees opposite of it orientation in a DSM, but this isn't really a problem. You can use a stock O2 housing, but you'll have clearance issues with some of the AC lines. So you'll either need to fabricate an O2 housing, which is very tight, or modify/move/delete those AC lines. You'll see what I'm talking about when you hang the turbo. Â*

Otherwise good luck, and if you have any questions please post them. </div>

Someone give me some good news reguarding this one

Lazarus
01-18-2003, 11:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJ Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>does Â*his 1g manifold goes on the 4g64 engine?
if so, defeniately stay away from t-25 turbo.
</div>

What's bad about the t25?

ken inn
01-18-2003, 12:54 PM
[quote="Lazarus"]yeha it's a 14b. My friend with a 4cylinder Eclipse has one and he says it runs well over 20lbs of boost easy. But we're not looking to put that much power into the car. to much work. We're looking to get 10-15lbs of boost max. It's a 14b, but some of the other 1st Gen Eclipses say it's going to be a pain to fit the 14b/16g on a 4G64 engine.

your friend may THINK he is running "well over 20 lbs boost" with a 14b, but it is well documented that above 16-18 lbs on a 14b is more heat than anything.

Lazarus
01-18-2003, 01:44 PM
yeah but he said said he was running about 28lbs of boost. I read in a reviews article where it says well over 20lbs.

ken inn
01-18-2003, 09:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah but he said said he was running about 28lbs of boost. I read in a reviews article where it says well over 20lbs.</div>

28 lbs of boost on a 14b? never happen. even a 16g wont do it. pure b.s.

Lazarus
01-18-2003, 09:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah but he said said he was running about 28lbs of boost. I read in a reviews article where it says well over 20lbs.</div>

28 lbs of boost on a 14b? never happen. even a 16g wont do it. pure b.s.</div>

http://www.wincom.net/trog/autocross/2G_SM.html ('http://www.wincom.net/trog/autocross/2G_SM.html')

The Mitsubishi TDO5H-14b - the stock turbo from a 1G DSM. This isn't a bad choice, as they can be had for next to free from 1G owners moving up the ladder. They will hold well over 20 lbs to redline, and they spool fairly quickly. You will need a "16G install kit" to fit it, but it's a fairly painless install. The 14b, however, is the laggiest of the 3 options - you will notice the lag out of slow corners.

Mante
01-19-2003, 11:47 AM
everywhere I have read stats the 14b effective boost range is 12-18psi. Now 20 and "well over" I dont personally see happening. Although I have never done this first hand Several sites sayin the same thing must be doing something right....

ken inn
01-19-2003, 05:08 PM
The Mitsubishi TDO5H-14b - the stock turbo from a 1G DSM. This isn't a bad choice, as they can be had for next to free from 1G owners moving up the ladder. They will hold well over 20 lbs to redline, and they spool fairly quickly. You will need a "16G install kit" to fit it, but it's a fairly painless install. The 14b, however, is the laggiest of the 3 options - you will notice the lag out of slow corners.[/quote]

i had a 14b on my galant stock. also had one one my 93 gsx. went to a small 16g on both, eventually a big 16g on the galant. i am telling you, the 14b will not boost to 20 lbs. it may SPIKE to 20, but it will not hold it, and, at about 18 lbs all it is doing is putting out gobs of heat, your engine will pull timing, you will get knock, and it will overall run like shit. the 2g has smaller intake ports, smaller throttle body, smaller intake, yada, yada. check out the dsm boards. the upgrade for the 2g is the 1g 14b, the 1g head, intake, t/bdy, etc. my 16g starts to spool at about 1200 rpm, i get full boost, 17 lbs in first gear by 3500 rpm, much less in the other gears. the 14b would start to fall off at about 5500. redline starts at 7k, the 16g is still pulling at that level.