PDA

View Full Version : Door Panel cloth

Cheekz185
07-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Is there any way to remove ONLY the cloth on the door panel. Well for some of you its leather. If so how do you go about, I have taken the door panel off plenty of times but really havent looked at taking the cloth off. I want to get new cloth hopefully I can get some to match my original.

fatal1
07-22-2008, 07:11 PM
yes you can just take off the cloth however there is a lot of adhesive holding it there and it is a real pita to remove it all, it would prob be in your best interest to just use the existing cloth as extra padding and lay the new cloth on top like how peaople wrapping it with the vynil do, it really is a pita to get off

IVORY_G
07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Only prob with that is leaving with the cloth on there, is that sooner or later, the new material is going to begin to sag off the cloth underneath. It doesnt give good enough adhesion in the longrun. Thats like painting a car without washing it and stripping the old wax off of it to promote proper adhesion.

And there is a tutorial thread on this already, just hit the search button, and type "upholstering door panels".

pinoyesv6
07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
i agree. the adhesive that is left behind is a PITA to get off. I heard that once you remove the cloth, pressure washing the insert to remove the excess adhesive works.

boochieboy
07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
What about a quick wipe with lacquer thinner? That removes contact cement.

remarque
07-22-2008, 09:41 PM
When I did mine I ripped the cloth off, there was still some foam left so I scraped that off with a razor. Once the foam was cleaned off, I got some 1/8 foam and glued the fabric over that. After the glue dried I sewed up the edges to keep it from sagging. Then I glued the fabric/foam to the panel, my setup hasnt sagged yet.

IVORY_G
07-23-2008, 12:00 AM
When I did mine I ripped the cloth off, there was still some foam left so I scraped that off with a razor. Once the foam was cleaned off, I got some 1/8 foam and glued the fabric over that. After the glue dried I sewed up the edges to keep it from sagging. Then I glued the fabric/foam to the panel, my setup hasnt sagged yet.

And that my friend is the Proper way to "Get Er' Dunn!!!" LOL! But really, thats how your supposed to do it.

racesnos
07-23-2008, 12:51 AM
would GooGone work to get remaining adhesive off?

remarque
07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Elbow grease and a razor blade.