PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise from engine bay

Mindless
01-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Lately I've noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine bay. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to worry me. When I rev the engine a couple hundred rpms it speeds up and then stops. When I let off the gas and the rpms drop it starts again. Any ideas?

JiP
01-17-2003, 04:00 PM
lifter tick, happens to all dsms. A trick that I picked up from another group that works great, when you have like 300 miles left till you change your oil, throw in like half a quart or so of ATF with your oil and just drive like you always do, then change the oil after you do the last 300 miles. It cleans out the crap and your tick will stop.

manybrews
01-17-2003, 07:16 PM
its not very common at all on the SOHC motors. Keeping clean, fresh oil in the car is a must, though.
however, when they fail, its NOT usually a collapse that causes the tick, but rather the end of the lifter being smashed flat.

JiP
01-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Btw go to The Galant Center main page and look at the Featured Product in the lower right hand corner its crap to stop the ticking.

IHateMyGalant
01-19-2003, 02:47 AM
This is the same problem that helped me choose my user name. Engine ticking slowly got worse and worse until I couldn't stand it. I had flushed it, used all synthetic fluids etc. I went to a mechanic and he replaced all the lifters. A few months later, it started again. I went to the dealer and they said it was a rod knock (which I didn't think) and they said engine needed to be replaced, so I did. Less than a year later, here comes the tick again. I threatened the dealer with a lawyer, they replaced the engine for free and the ticking never came back. Except now with the cold weather, I hear it a little when the car is warming up. Not much help, but just my experience! :evil:

manybrews
01-19-2003, 09:31 AM
lifter tick is considered normal for up to two minutes on a cold engine.

this is information direct from mitsubishi, by the way.