PDA

View Full Version : Muffler starting to rust!!!!!!!!

BLsGalant97
01-17-2003, 01:32 PM
Ok i just ran my car through the car wash today and i noticed that my muffler is starting to rust a little.....I just thought it was dirt from all the roads cause of the snow......but is there any thing i can do to it to remove rust and treat the muffler so it doesnt spread!?!?! Thanks

2True
01-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Bummer :cry:

Do they use salt on the roads in Waterbury?

pinoyesv6
01-17-2003, 03:58 PM
yea expect the exhaust to rust over time. things like road debris, salt, water, dirt, exhaust gasses etc etc all take a toll on ur exhaust. keeping your exhaust, or at least the muffler cuz thats what u see, clean will help to prevent it from rustnig. using wax like zymol on the tip might also help too. they make stuff that helps to dissolve the rust away or u can sand it down. but then ur back to bare metal that needs to be protected so it doesn't rust somemore. maybe u can play it off with some engine enamel or something or if u got a lil extra cash and the right muffler, maybe a new tip

BLsGalant97
01-17-2003, 06:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Bummer Â*:cry: Â*

Do they use salt on the roads in Waterbury?</div>

Yeah salts and sand

seth98esT
01-17-2003, 06:06 PM
yah mine is showing some hints of rust...any way we can take out the rust? grind it off? i remember back in hs we made toolboxes out of sheetmetal and we just grinded off the rust

Moosh
01-17-2003, 06:39 PM
can you paint mufflers?

manybrews
01-17-2003, 07:17 PM
mufflers rust. thats the way it is.

pinoyesv6
01-17-2003, 08:33 PM
first of all, mufflers can be painted. but i do suggest that u use a high temp paint since many parts of the muffler can get hot.

but yea manybrews is right, mufflers rust no way of preventing that. if u take care of ur muffler, keep it clean the case will last a lil bit longer. but yea u can grind away the rust but watch out for what ur grinding. i mean if its the tip, grind all u want. but if its like the case, be careful, u don't wanna grind thru the case or u'll not only have a hole in ur muffler but an exhaust leak and that sound shouldn't be pretty either.

but also remember many aftermarket mufflers have some kinda coating on it. either it be chrome or whatever. so yea grind away but once u grind away that coating, ur asking rust to come out again so protect that surface. they make a high temp clear coat, u can try that. paint blah blah.