PDA

View Full Version : VRG foglight help

silver01g
07-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Well my HIDs came in today for my fogs, now as i was hookin them up i noticed that i wasnt gonna be able to close the cap that holds the water from getting inside the housing, and have a hole for the two wires from the bulb, so i wanted to know what yall did to have the cap on and have the two wire from the bulb to come out without having water go inside, do yall think the best way to get them out from housing is drill a hole in the center of the cap and feed the two wires from the bulb threw there? the kit did come with that lil rubber seal thats on the bulb.

ZigenScarface
07-31-2008, 01:30 AM
i dont kno wat the back of those fog housings look like but i seen things on hidretrofit where people would take pvc pipe (diameter of the circle where cap goes) and extend the housing with that so the hid would fit.. hope that helps if not then eh

IceDouTGaLanT
07-31-2008, 01:41 AM
i just made a notch in the plastic, for the wire to come out, then just taped around it so water cant get in

silver01g
07-31-2008, 01:48 AM
a notch around the cap? i was thinkin about that to, just afraid of water you know. but you dont think drilling a hole from the center of the cap would work since i have a rubber seal? just asking to see wht yall think cause once i drill that hole and if it doesnt work im screwed. sorry guys if photos are needed yall would have to wait til tomorrow.

fatal1
07-31-2008, 02:23 AM
there should be a water seal on the hid wires..drill the appropriate sized hole and it shoud seal in

dronesurfboards
07-31-2008, 07:54 PM
i did the same with what Icedout did, havent had any water issues as of yet.

silver01g
08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Ok guys, well drilled the hole on the cap, everything worked out fine, but now im having some funny stuff happen to the HIDs, well for one when they are on the light beam move like if they were in water, it waves the bulbs are in there tight for a fact i had to put a lot of pressure to close it, two when i turn them on they flicker. now the other day one bulb burned out, now i dont know if what ive explainned is the cause of it, but i still do have one hooke up. and it still does the samething. now what im hoping is yall dont say its the ground. ive checked all wires and ive have females and males connections on them with electrical tape covering them. i played around with the wires while they were on, no lose wires where it can turn off. so once again guys need some help???should i add another ground????let me know.

fatal1
08-06-2008, 12:22 AM
it does sound like a grounding problem actually lol do you have pics of how you wired it up?

lonestar22
08-06-2008, 12:54 AM
it may just be a bunk kit

silver01g
08-06-2008, 01:04 AM
yeah give me a sec. i actually have one foglight out

silver01g
08-06-2008, 01:24 AM
The blue and black wire are the right go the to ballast i connected them the two wires that came out of the cap and go the the foglight plug. the black wire in the inside the cap goes the ground from the housing, and the red wire inside had a plug that the regular H3 bulb plugged into inside the cap. the hole i made in the cap is for the wires of the HID bulb that connects to the ballast.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/silver01g/ImportedPhotos00002.jpg
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/silver01g/ImportedPhotos00001.jpg

fatal1
08-06-2008, 01:35 AM
is that a wire tap of some kind? if so do not use them they are crap
im trying to figure out exactly what you did i made a diagram for the new style fog lights showing how it should be but it is the same for these as well... i will upload it in a min

silver01g
08-06-2008, 01:39 AM
alright thanks, yeah i basically tapped the wire to the plug on the foglight, i was just gonna run the wire from the ballast direct to the factory foglight wire where there wouldnt be any plugs. but i told myself not to incase i needed to disconnect them for some reason.

fatal1
08-06-2008, 01:45 AM
yea bypass the plug there is no need to use it especially since you will be using female and male connectors now.

here is the diagram

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/rattle12764aie/jdmhidwire.jpg

this is a view of how it should look like in the inside of your fog...

silver01g
08-06-2008, 02:05 AM
so i shouldnt use the plugs, i understand that part now? BUT by the picture you're saying the wires from the HID bulb i should cut and connect them to the factory foglight wires? but those two wires from the HID bulb plug into the ballast.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/silver01g/ImportedPhotos00003.jpg
then the other plug that comes FROM the ballast has two open wire which are the postive and negtive
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh191/silver01g/ImportedPhotos00004.jpg
which what i have connected to the foglight should i just like you said bypass the plug and connect the two open wires that come from the ballast straight to the factory foglight wires?

fatal1
08-06-2008, 02:11 AM
no no do not cut the wires from the bulb...usually the blue/black wire goes through the rubber part as well thats why i drew it like that...i personally pull them out like you have them but many do not

the ones from the bulb just plug in and splice in the blue/ black harness as pictured in the diagram

silver01g
08-06-2008, 02:17 AM
sorry man just confused, i know its simple. but just tryin to get a better understandin, so one more time do basically what i did, just without using the plugs, but add the ground that connects to the housing with the ground of the HID and car foglight ground?

fatal1
08-06-2008, 02:26 AM
correct...connect the stock ground on the fog along with the stock ground from the car harness...twist them together at the end and then put your female connector over that...then plug the ground wire for the hid into the female harness

silver01g
08-06-2008, 02:29 AM
alright, thanks for being patient, one more question so you think because of the way i had them hooked up mit be the reason why the bulb burned out on me?

fatal1
08-06-2008, 02:38 AM
most likely... i cant say really since i didnt see the exact wiring on the car but a bad ground would def cause it to burn out...also im sure you know but you can not touch the bulb at all with your fingers if you did that would deff be another culprit also make sure you have solid connections in general, if you can solder them i would suggest doing so if possible

silver01g
08-06-2008, 02:47 AM
alright thanks man, i plan on redoing the wire when i take the bumper off to get repainted.

fatal1
08-06-2008, 02:48 AM
no problem good luck