PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth $50 to .......

jmonintwo
08-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Is it worth $50 to anyone to help me with the below problems? I've searched threads, but go F&C#I%G CRAZY trying to find them and figure them out. I've got a 99 GTZ and need to fix the following:

1) Cruise stopped working. Light in dash won't even come on. Tried changing switches and ECUs and vacuum line from canister behing coolant resivior. Still nothing. Tried the little "turn key on, hold set, move to res....I don't even know what the combination meter I'm supposed to look for is.
2) Horn stopped working.
3) SRS light is on.

If you are familiar with these fixes, are willing to work it out by sending me threads and helping via PM or a call or two, and think it is worth $50 for your time and effort.....then shoot me a PM. Here's the deal though......If you're not really sure you can get me through it....don't waste our time....if you're gunna try to figure it all out on the fly and we can't get it fixed. I won't pay. But if you are familiar with these fixes and can get me through it, I will GLADLY send you $50 or buy you something online or WTF ever.

Then of course if nobody's interested....I understand. This website has been great help to me in the past.....I'm just getting frustrated over here.....thx

IceDouTGaLanT
08-06-2008, 09:46 PM
1: check the fuse? thats my only guess..on this question
2: check the fuse..thats prob the fix thier
3. A airbag since u have a gtz maybe the Side airbags, i had that light and it was my passenger airbag which was malfunctioning, and had to get it replaced

you dont have to pay anybody bro, its a forum we are here to help. We just wont spoon feed members on topics which has been covered numbered of times like "how can i turbo my galant" or "What parts do i need for 5-speed" . You can donate to the forum it self which helps out everyone if you really wanted too

THA-GHOST
08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
def sounds like a fuse

jmonintwo
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Dude....can you tell me where the fuse is? give me directions or send me a pic?? PPLLEEAASSEE

IceDouTGaLanT
08-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Ok the fuse box, in under the hood Near the Battrey. its a L shape plastic box its right on top. Lift it up UNDER the plastic are the fuse's and if u look under the plastic cover theirs symbols for HORN..etc pull the fuse out and see if its burnt, if so replace. Thiers also Fuse box on the Driver side. When u open ur car door look near the door jam you will see a plastic trim which says PULL, pull that and u have more fuse's thier, like before just look at the symbol and replace. Or u can just pull 1 by 1 and see which ones are bad and which ones are good.

dwjp90
08-06-2008, 09:55 PM
in the fuse box, open drivers door, open that panel.

the other fuses are under the hood open hood, open black box closer to driver seat.

Jeffylou87
08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Maybe your steering wheel is disconnected????

EDIT: There are three plugs when you take the steering wheel off.. The ground for the airbag, the big white plug right behind the airbag, and the cruise control plug..

ZigenScarface
08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
yeh best bet are check the fuses.. also horn itself could be broken but that rarely happens if ur fuse is fine then put a testlite up at the end of the wires in the front n press the horn button.. if the test light goes off but no horn could be a broken horn

fatal1
08-06-2008, 09:59 PM
im going to go with the fuse as well...probroblly for both problems

the one for the horn i know is on the driver side fuse box...sometimes with these cars a fuse instead of being fully blown ive noticed the prong will get bent occasionally so even if it looks good try to replace it and see how it works. the horn could also be blown if the fuse doesnt fix your problem try hooking the power directly to the battery and see if it works then...if not then get yourself an aftermarket one

the horn could also be related to your srs problem, the horn switch is built into the steering wheel airbag so if that could also be culprit to both problems there and the switch also has a tendency to occasionally go bad, unfortunately you will have to find out which airbag is actually being the problem yourself but that is the reason more then likely for the srs

the cruise control also leads me to believe it may be the fuse especially since the dash light does not come on either, and you said that you swapped the ecu for it already

jmonintwo
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
im going to go with the fuse as well...probroblly for both problems

the one for the horn i know is on the driver side fuse box...sometimes with these cars a fuse instead of being fully blown ive noticed the prong will get bent occasionally so even if it looks good try to replace it and see how it works. the horn could also be blown if the fuse doesnt fix your problem try hooking the power directly to the battery and see if it works then...if not then get yourself an aftermarket one

the horn could also be related to your srs problem, the horn switch is built into the steering wheel airbag so if that could also be culprit to both problems there and the switch also has a tendency to occasionally go bad, unfortunately you will have to find out which airbag is actually being the problem yourself but that is the reason more then likely for the srs

the cruise control also leads me to believe it may be the fuse especially since the dash light does not come on either, and you said that you swapped the ecu for it already

OK....checked the fuses for the horn under the hood and in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash...both fuses look good....of course the one under the hood I don't think you can tell just by looking at it...it doesn't seem to be burned. Maybe it's the airbag thing. Would I just buy an airbag off ebay or something??

I guess I can live with horn and SRS light malfunctions but I would REALLY like my cruise fixed. Where is the fuse for it?? thx

IceDouTGaLanT
08-06-2008, 10:06 PM
sometimes the fuse's get blown all the way at the top so you cant even see it, if you look at the plastic trim you pull off from the inside fuse cover theirs extra fuse's on that. Just put one in the spot for the horn n see if it works

ericbla03
08-07-2008, 05:36 AM
yea, ive had blown fuses that dont look blown. Just replace it anyway.

Fishboy55
08-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Because you have a GTZ, and it's the same genre as mine, I'm gonna suggest your airbag module is shot. I had exactly the same symptoms as you, except my horn wouldn't stop working, blowing constantly and an SRS light. The cruise could be a bad steering column switch.

Here's the good news. both are covered by a recall. Search for the post with the list of recalls. I took mine back to the dealer and they replaced the entire airbag module, horn switch and cruise switch under three different service advisory numbers. Also, if you haven't kept up to date with the recalls on your car, there's a transmission cooler line and a steering box recall you should have done while you're at the dealer.

Send the $50 check to the link in my sig to fight ALS!!

jmonintwo
08-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion on the recall.....was hoping that was it....called Mitsu Corporate.....no open recalls on my car.....I did talk to a guy at a dealer and he said sometimes a fuse goes bad on the board and it can effect other things that might be on the same circuit, so I'm gunna run thru all my fuses.....let you know how it goes

Fishboy55
08-08-2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestion on the recall.....was hoping that was it....called Mitsu Corporate.....no open recalls on my car.....I did talk to a guy at a dealer and he said sometimes a fuse goes bad on the board and it can effect other things that might be on the same circuit, so I'm gunna run thru all my fuses.....let you know how it goes

Well here's a surprise...Mitsubishi wasn't completely honest with you :lol:

Here's a link to all the current Recalls and TSB's on the 1999 Galant GTZ. This is just a listing of them. You can google the numbers for detailed info without a subscription to alldata, but here's a hint: When Mitsubishi corporate tells you something, don't believe them.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/39/99394939.html