PDA

View Full Version : vr4 engine swap

tightgalant
01-18-2003, 06:06 PM
I know its been done, putting a vr4 engine into a 7g galant. If any one has done this or knows some one who has done it, please let me know. I am going to put the vr4 in to my 96 and was wondering how much trouble they had doing it. email me [email protected]

BEAST
01-19-2003, 01:58 AM
Well I don't think that your transmission is going to match up, but even if it did then your tranny is gonna be way too weak to handle the power. And the vr-4 tranny is ofcourse all wheel drive so that provides a problem on it's own.

tightgalant
01-19-2003, 10:34 AM
we have two choices there, when i buy the vr4 engine, a tranny comes with it, but just the front wheel drive part, if i want to pay a extra grand i can get the back also to make it all wheel drive

manybrews
01-19-2003, 01:40 PM
you have no idea how much work youre in for trying a swap like that.

Dark Anghell
01-19-2003, 02:14 PM
I remeber someone doing the lancer motor in the galant, and heused the lancer tranny. Here's what happens: I think trannies have powere distribution between front and rear wheels (don't know what it is on lancer)...for example 30 to 70%. Which means only 30% or your engines power will go to front wheels. So VR-4 tranny is not going to work.

As for an extra grand...they are ptobably talking about the rear diff.

Jesse
01-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Defintely gonna cost you at least 5-10k more to have professionals convert your car to AWD, might as well upgrade the brakes and everything too.

I'm sure the turbo eclipse tranny might work.

Is this the 6a12TT or 6a13TT motor?

Chad
01-20-2003, 03:52 PM
If you use the 4WD tranny and only run the front it wont work! The center diff (in the gearbox) works by spreading the load equaly to front/rear wheels. If it detects to much power going to the front it will try and run the rear, which will feel like the clutch slipping. I have first hand experiance on this as when i bust my prop i tried drivig it!! Got to a hill and couldn't get up it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif
you might have problems with transfer, prop tunnels and the exhaust fitting under the car.
If your going to give it a go I'd stick with the front wheel drive and put up with some wicked burn outs https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif