PDA

View Full Version : Overtightening of Wheel Lugs

csbjr
01-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Is it possible that overtightening the lugs will cause the wheel shake upon braking?

My wife has a 2002 Galant. About 3 months ago I turned the rotors and put "Kragen" Lifetime brakes . Actually, I changed the pads and shortly after that, the wheels began to shake. Now the wheels shake worst when you brake. I did not use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs.

First time poster

TIA

pinoyesv6
01-18-2003, 09:33 PM
if the lugs are too loose. the wheel will shake. i usually retorque or retighten my lugs after a lil bit of driving to make sure.

if the lugs are too tight, ur rotors can warp thus leading to more problems, including a shaky feeling while braking

csbjr
01-19-2003, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the response. I will turn the rotors one more time. I have seen post regarding aftermarket rotors. I will try that as my next step.

pinoyesv6
01-19-2003, 06:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(csbjr)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks for the response. Â*I will turn the rotors one more time. Â*I have seen post regarding aftermarket rotors. Â*I will try that as my next step.</div>

you might want to consider new rotors. the more u turn a rotor, the easier it will be for it to warp. depending where u go, it might be more cost effective to go with new rotors now than later.

BlueESV6
01-21-2003, 02:10 PM
I swear by 80 ft lbs per torque.... always....

BGR
01-21-2003, 02:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>I swear by 80 ft lbs per torque.... Â* always....</div>

80 ft lbs is the recommended torque setting from Mitsubishi and is used by such places as America's Tires. When I had my wheels put on at America's Tires, I asked them what the setting should be and they said 80.