PDA

View Full Version : Shaking-Motor Mount????

AzGalant
01-19-2003, 11:16 AM
00' ES 80K mi just had the timing belt/water pump changed, had been noticing alot of break noise, almost rubbing sounds when i'm rolling to a stop- think that might be my rotors, but what is really bothering me is that it also car shakes when idling in park can feel it in the steering wheel & dash, also front end shakes at high speeds, but no pulling. Any ideas to what that would be? maybe a motor mount? Has anyone ever changed the rear motor mount themselves?

NRG
01-19-2003, 12:51 PM
You can check it by putting it in idle, then come out and pop your hood and watch your engine to see if it is indeed vibrating violently. If it is, it could be the motor mounts.....

manybrews
01-19-2003, 01:39 PM
a lot of people here point fingers at motor mounts..
to which i have this to say. in almost 11 years of working on mitsus, I have replaced exactly 1 motor mount. and it was actually broken into 3 pieces.

so the chances of you needing new mounts on a 2 year old car are slim.

first, is it a 4 or 6 cylinder? because ALL 4 cylinder engines produce more vibration than a 6 (its physics).
second, you should make sure that you dont tamper with the throttle body in ANY way except to clean it. i cant tell you how many hundreds of cars ive had to fix because "billy-bob the grease monkey" decided to tamper with adjustments that NEVER need to be changed. A yearly cleaning of the throttle body and plate should keep your idle right where its suppost to be.

NRG
01-19-2003, 01:47 PM
The reason why i mentioned it could be the motor mounts to him is because one of the member I know has swapped his stock ones for aftermarket ones and he said that his car shakes much more now that he has done that..........

AzGalant
01-19-2003, 02:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>a lot of people here point fingers at motor mounts..
to which i have this to say. Â*in almost 11 years of working on mitsus, I have replaced exactly 1 motor mount. Â* and it was actually broken into 3 pieces.

so the chances of you needing new mounts on a 2 year old car are slim.

first, is it a 4 or 6 cylinder? Â*because ALL 4 cylinder engines produce more vibration than a 6 (its physics).
second, you should make sure that you dont tamper with the throttle body in ANY way except to clean it. Â*i cant tell you how many hundreds of cars ive had to fix because "billy-bob the grease monkey" decided to tamper with adjustments that NEVER need to be changed. Â*A yearly cleaning of the throttle body and plate should keep your idle right where its suppost to be.</div>

Its a 4 cyl - I've had it for about 2 yrs and i know it has alot of miles on it. I've never adjusted to throttle body in any way, & just had the spark plugs/wires replaced, but it still vibrates while in park-its gotten worse over the last few months, cant think of what else it would be. The vibratation at high speeds could be the rotors though, right? I have had my tires rotated/balanced maybe could be alignment also, but it doesnt pull.

Gilhuly
01-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Is the vibration at high speed with the brakes engaged or no? If not it's that your tires are out of balance.

AzGalant
01-20-2003, 01:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is the vibration at high speed with the brakes engaged or no? Â*If not it's that your tires are out of balance.</div>

It shakes around 65+ regardless of braking- They were supposed to balance them when I had my tire fixed, but I will have to take it back then. Any ideas about the vibration when idling? Thanks for your help man-

Gilhuly
01-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Even when they try they don't always get them balanced right.

What are your RPMS at idle?

AzGalant
01-24-2003, 09:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>Even when they try they don't always get them balanced right.

What are your RPMS at idle?</div>

I had them re-balance all tires- ride is much much better- still a little vibration while idling- it idles about 800 when warmed up 1100 when i first start it-