PDA

View Full Version : Painting Back Rear Drums???

muzaville
08-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm Getting New Tires Soon, I Was Thinking About Painting My Rear Drums Black Before I Get Everything Done, My Drums In The Back Are Pretty Rusty, Does Anyone Know Maybe How To Paint Them Or Clean Them? What Are The Right Materials To Use??:smt100

WhiteGalant
08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I just used black engine enamel, or you could just go out and get some caliper paint. Just make sure you clean and sand them.

greddy
08-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Just sand and clean them off really well, then use engine enamal, I'd suggest flat black, then they don't stick out as much.

muzaville
08-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Hmm I seee, so what kind of sand paper do u suggest? and i can get the enamal from autozone or around, but will it chip or fade? and, for the calipers im guessing i should just get the caliper paint kit...?

greddy
08-17-2008, 11:58 PM
I used some really rough grit, don't remember which on exactly, and I also used some steel wool, then I took an air compressor and blew all the crap off, and painted it. Paint hasn't chipped yet.

RedGalant2k1
08-18-2008, 12:51 AM
I would use a wire brush, and parts cleaner. Then spray it black and call it a day.

muzaville
08-18-2008, 01:43 AM
do u have to put clearcoat?

quicksilver22
08-18-2008, 07:04 AM
high-temp

alpinespldb2
08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I did this exact application with the dupli-color caliper kit. I used a drill and wire brush to grind the rust off. The whole process on 4 calipers took about 3 hours. The caliper kit comes with an ample amount of paint, but you have to brush it on but it works well. Oh yea, it also comes with the break cleaner.

EATsleepJDM
08-18-2008, 05:49 PM
i just painted mine last friday.me and my brother used a thing that has metal tips that i connected to my drill and i got most of the rust and other paint off.then i used sand paper to get the other stuff off and made it smooth.then after i wiped it down so it was clean from little dirt and what not.then after i just used caliper paint that i bought at murrays and put like 2 coats on it then that was it.it took about little over an hour with just the rear drums but im going to do the front calipers in a couple of days.