PDA

View Full Version : overheating

bushler97ES
01-20-2003, 10:45 AM
my cars not feeling too good. a few days ago my temp gauge would fluctuate between normal to hot, and when it got up to hot i would just put the heater on and it would cool down. my friend and i figured that it was just a bad thermostat. then my heater stopped pumping heat. another frined of mine borrowed my car to go somewhere and it cut off at a light and was overheated, keep in mind that this was in 30 degree weather. he limped it back on what coolant was left and added a little water. yesterday my friend and i changed the termostat and changed the hose that goes into the heater. we added more coolant and basically flushed out the engine. well the car isn't getting as hot but and the heater is working, but now the fans behind the radiator won't turn on. the fluid still gets pretty damn hot and we can't seem to find a tiny leak up by the radiator. any ideas?

JiP
01-20-2003, 01:26 PM
Everyone seems tobe having coolant issues today. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Coolant suposed to be hot! Temp of coolant while driving is like 190+ degrees F. But anyway, check the 2 ECT sending unti and sensor, read what I posted in this forum under TEMP NEEDLE:

http://clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7543 ('http://clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7543')

That will tell you how to make sure there functioning normally. The ecu uses the temp sensors to determine when to turn the fan on. If I remember correctly the fan turns on low speed at something like 198-205F or highspeed at 205+

bushler97ES
01-20-2003, 06:33 PM
thanks for the advice and link, i'll probably end up replacing it just in case, but the coolant wasn't a normal hot, it was boiling over ect and i could hear a distinct gurgle/boil over near the fuel filter, even though we had replace the coolant line there just 30 minutes before.

JiP
01-20-2003, 08:00 PM
hmm maybe you have some kinda blockage or water pump failure? I really don't know..

manybrews
01-20-2003, 08:27 PM
if your heater stopped, youre low on coolant.

look for a leak. and DONT use the overflow bottle as a means to measure the amount of coolant in your system, as ive seen many cars with the pickup tube kinked or disconnected inside the overflow bottle, preventing it from doing its job.
the low coolant also explains the overheating.

bushler97ES
01-20-2003, 11:32 PM
the coolant is at a good level, and the only leak we could think of may be near the radiator, we can't see much coolant leaking but we know its leaking because there is steam from the coolant hitting something hot. i think i'm just gonna take it to mitsubishi to see if they can just tell me whats wrong

4G64
01-21-2003, 12:21 AM
I've heard from friends that heater takes outside air and run them through Heating Coils in your car to warm them up....

JiP
01-21-2003, 12:29 AM
Dont know where the air is actualy sucked from, but there is a like cermaic block (heater core) where antifreeze is pumped through, so your hot antifreeze heats up the block and the air passes aruond or through or whatever gets real hot. Thats why turning heater on helps lower your temperature because your further cooling the antifreeze along with ur radiator.