PDA

View Full Version : Temp needle

redlobster
01-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Every time i start my car the temp needle goes directly to the middle between hot and cold even if it hasnt been run for like 3 days, how can i fix this? is it caught on something in the engine bay or what?

sean

JiP
01-20-2003, 01:17 PM
The sensor is electronic. Check the temperature sending unit its on the front of the water neck, the bottom connector is the sending unit for the gauge. You might have to replace that part. Besides that sending unit is horrible, I have an after market temp sensor installed and when my stock gague says the watertemp is in the center, my actual water temp is only like 130F...normal operating temp is like 180-195.

You should test both coolent temp sensors they are the two connectors on the water neck. The top one is what the ECU uses thats the important one, take your car for a 10 minute drive to make sure its warmed up good, then turn it off and remove the top connector on the water neck. With a voltage meter meausre the resistance on the sensor it should be like 0.26-0.36 ohms.

Now check the sending unit, this is the bottom connector on the water neck, thats the one that controls your gauge, it should read 260-330 ohms at normal operating temperature.

If any of the readings are way off, replace that unit. If its not the sensors, then maybe there is a short in the wiring or the gauge its self is screwd up, your own your own at that point :wink:

redlobster
01-20-2003, 04:54 PM
ok, where is this water neck thing located?

sean

JiP
01-20-2003, 08:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>ok, where is this water neck thing located? </div>

o boy. Its on the front of the engine where the upper radiator pipe goes too.

redlobster
01-20-2003, 11:52 PM
haha, i know where that is! lol i just didnt know what it was called!
thanks