PDA

View Full Version : 98 ES Bigger injectors????

NOSMAN7G
01-20-2003, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know where I can get bigger injectors to get ready for turbo?? If so what do I have to do once I get the injectors?? Thanx

ken inn
01-20-2003, 01:37 PM
the 4g63t comes with 450's, which are good enough for about 15 lbs of boost. BUT, this is controlled by fuel maps in the 4g63t ecu. understand this, with ANY type of forced induction, you get heat. a LOT of the extra fuel needed at wot is for cooling. on a n/a motor, you do not have this demand for more fuel. once you cross the line into boost, the need for extra cooling rises dramatically. also, above certain levels, controlled by the tps, the ecu goes open loop, and runs off factory set fuel maps. if you are monitoring egt and a/f, you can see what it is doing, but the o2 sensor has no effect at this level. another thing you have to REALLY watch is knock and timing. for example, on my car, at part throttle, i can get as much as 40 deg timing, with 0 knock. go wot, and max timing drops to 23. bring in some knock, and timing drops off a lot. this is probably overkill, but it is better than no timing/knock control, and getting huge amounts of detonation. the factory dont want the cars blowing up under warranty. fuel control, like an afc would be needed. if your car stock has, lets say, 270cc injectors, and you use 450's, that is about a 65% increase, so at ALL speeds, your car will be running pig rich. however, because timing also needs to be addressed, if you could use the factory 4g63t ecu, that would be your best bet, otherwise, for best results, you are looking at a stand alone system, big bucks, and LOTS of tuning.

NOSMAN7G
01-20-2003, 04:44 PM
So If I use 450cc injectors I should use the ecu from a 4g63t then. What would be your suggestion on how to get more HP from this engine?? I'm getting a NOS setup in a few months or so , Theres some HP. I'll have around a grand to spend on little mods...what should I do??

NOSMAN7G
01-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know where I can get these fuel injectors?? Also I would need to get a Apex-i S-AFC right?? What does changing the injectors add? I am really new to this stuff so PLEASE bare with me:)

ken inn
01-20-2003, 10:33 PM
hold it. i thought from your description, you were going to install a complete 4g63t motor. if you are only installing the injectors, first off, are they even the same, fitment wise? impedance? one would assume mitsu would stay with the same design, but who knows? and what about fuel delivery? base fp on a 1g turbo is 36 psi. depending on how much bigger you go, the stock fuel pump may be maxxed out. none of this stuff is plug and play. an afc will only help in adjusting the fuel delivery, you also have to be able to monitor it, so you know what changes need to be made, and fine tune it. with a logger, on the 1g cars, i can see hi, med, and low fuel trim, oxygen sensor trim, airflow, injector pulse, knock, timing, throttle position, accel enrichment, and 8 other things. the afc is a very versitile tool, but you need to be able to monitor what the changes do.

NOSMAN7G
01-21-2003, 08:52 AM
I'm not installing the 4g63t injectors I just want bigger injectors to get ready for turbo. I decided not to do the swap. I just want to get some of the engine prepping done before I throw the turbo on. Like better fuel pump and all that. I just don't know what else I can do besides those to get ready for turbo??

Spyder4G64t
01-23-2003, 08:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOSMAN7G)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just don't know what else I can do besides those to get ready for turbo??</div>
You've got a good start going. Did you check out my website? In the turbo tutorial I list some of the things you can do ahead of time. Looks like you're working on that list just fine.

NOSMAN7G
01-23-2003, 09:31 PM
LOL..I've been looking at your list. So basically everything you did to your spyder can be done to the galant?? For the fuel pump what model do I get it for?? Also for the injectors can they be bought retail...if so what model and year?? Your tutorials really helpful I just need to find out where to get the parts and how to install them..lol. Thanx for your help

Spyder4G64t
01-23-2003, 10:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOSMAN7G)</div><div class='quotemain'>For the fuel pump what model do I get it for?? Â*Also for the injectors can they be bought retail...if so what model and year?? Â*Your tutorials really helpful I just need to find out where to get the parts and how to install them..lol. Â*Thanx for your help</div>To be honest, I'm not positive about the fuel pump. I'm sure somebody here knows the answer, however. I used a Walbro 190lph pump made for an Eclipse.

As far as finding parts... I got most of my stuff off www.dsmtrader.com. I'm using used 450cc injectors from a 2G turbo car.

DJ Galant
01-24-2003, 04:57 AM
remeber our cars injectors are high impedia....4g63T are low impedia so you can't just put them in there like that....

you would probably have to get some kind of harness, to make sure u don't burn or melt anything...
i know 4g64t spyder knows a lot about it so ask him...

Spyder4G64t
01-24-2003, 07:26 AM
SEE! This is why I just refer everyone to my website. I always forget *something* which could be important! Yes, of course. The injectors from a 2G turbo car are LOW impedance (2-3 ohms). The Spyder has high impedance injectors (13-16 ohms). If you buy some used 450cc injectors from a turbo car, you need to also buy the resistor pack they use, and wire it into the injector wiring harness. It's not hard to do, but it is another step.

Otherwise, you need to buy some high impedance injectors, which are impossible to find used, and even hard to find new sometimes. I believe RC Engineering makes some.