PDA

View Full Version : custom lighing...

aeon
01-20-2003, 01:49 PM
what's up G-loverz,
i had a thought, as i sometimes do...
i have an empty box under my stereo and
climate controls. i was debating mounting a couple of LEDs in there with
a switch routed to a battery in my center armrest. does anybody have a better way to do this, and whether or not i will get a nice glow from the box?

if clarification is needed let me know and i'll explain better...

peace,
aeon :firedevil:

BlankMan
01-20-2003, 02:58 PM
There's some information in the following post you will probably find usefull...

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6983 ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6983')

Hope that helps a bit.

J

pinoyesv6
01-20-2003, 05:14 PM
if ur just using LED's u could tap for power basically anywhere. just get 12v led's. the current drawn by LED's isn't that much. if u were using incandescant bulbs or neons on the other hand, i'd get power from somewhere more reliable like the car's battery or the cigarette lighter

aeon
01-20-2003, 05:35 PM
hey guys thanks for the ideas...
Pin...i would like to tap for power somewhere else, but not really sure how.
from what i understand i can't run LEDs from the cig light if they are less that 12v. i have chosen 4.5v max LEDs, so unless i have 4 of them, i would blow them right? that's when i thought i'd use a 6v battery to run 2 of the LEDs so i don't have to buy 4 of them. (just had a baby so i'm on a budget...else the wife gets pissed!)

can i tap for less than 12v? do i need to ground? what's the best place?
i am electronically retarded so any help would be greatly appreciated!

J thanx for the tutorial link. i read that one before and was kinda using it as a guide (without the box.)

peace,
aeon :firedevil:

pinoyesv6
01-20-2003, 05:51 PM
im only using 2 LED's and it lights up nicely. uhm u can hook up 3 of the LED's in series and that will add up to 12.5 volts would be good. as for using a ground, u only need to use the ground if u are using the car's battery source. if not then u don't need one.