PDA

View Full Version : removing axles?

4g63lover
09-01-2008, 01:24 AM
I searched, and even looked at my Chiltons repair manual. But is it necessary to unbolt the ball joint and knuckle to remove the axle from the trans?

Ivory8g
09-01-2008, 01:49 AM
yes, or you can remove the lower control arm from the subframe instead

seth98esT
09-01-2008, 02:17 AM
Ive never worked on an 8g, but on the 7g, I remove the lower control arm from the subframe. Much easier to get a wrench to then to remove the ball joint. I would not recommend removing the ball joint if you dont have to.

RAZ_76
09-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Remove the ball joint, you just loosen it from the control arm, it is much easier then removing the 2 bolt for the control arm, trust me I know. I had to take my axles out when I pulled t transmission out. Just take the bolt out and let the lower control arm drop, now take the top bolt out that is holding the strut and loosen the other one out but don't remove it. Now you have enough play to pull the assembly outward and can pull the axle out.

Stewi
09-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Wow, thats alot of work, I dont do any of that. I just take out the two big bolts that hold the knuckle to the strut, take off the nut and pin holding the tierod to the knuckle, and remove the bolt holding the brake line to the strut. With the tierod disconnected, it allows you to swivel the knuckle to slide the axle out. I know everyone talks about this being bad because you put stress on the brake hose, but you dont if you have the jack and a piece of wood under the lower arm supporting it. I have just found that when you mess with the ball joint, your asking to damage that thing, then you gotta either buy, borrow or rent the tool to press it out.

QnzMostWanted
09-01-2008, 01:45 PM
i did it the way stewi did it

milo111000
09-08-2008, 04:02 PM
yeah me too! lol