PDA

View Full Version : swap question

Ghost Beat
08-18-2002, 12:20 AM
hey guys i know u guys are prolly rolling your eyes yet again about this topic but im all but decided on doing the swap out of a 3000gt vr4 full swap engine and 6 speed tranny so what i need to know is wheather it would fit under the hood i mean i know id need a diff hood but thats about all i know and its holding me back i dont know where to find this info so i put it out to the galant board leaders or anyone who realy knows about this please hold the "its not worth it" comments just need help right now

burthold
08-18-2002, 12:49 AM
These are the list of problems you will incounter.

One, motor mounts the wrong way.
Two, Transmission mounts the wrong way.
Three, Going from 4wd to fwd only could cause diffirental problems and gear box problems.
Four, Modifiying the engine well to accomidate the turbos and other pipings that go with the VR-4 engine.
Five, Computer management. You will need the complete wiring harness from the vr-4 then it has to be wired into your car.
Six, exhaust setup. You will have to have a custom exhaust made for your car.
Seven, custom axles to fit your car.
500 other little things that will drive labor through the roof.

What makes this mod so undoable is the labor involved. There is an old saying around the modders world:"Anything can be done with enough money." Most of us that drive Galants don't have the 20 or 30 grand to do these mods.

You get the "Its not worth it" because others have reasarched it and found it would be cheaper to just buy the whole 3000GT VR-4 than spend the huge sums of money. I would suggest you find a solid speed shop in your area start giving them money until they say they have enough to do the swap. At that point see if you have enough to buy a whole car. The kind of detailed information you want on this swap can't be given on a message board because no one has done it and no one will. I'm serious you are looking down the barrel of 15 to 20k to get it all done and working. After its all said and done you will not have a car that performs anywhere near a VR-4 would. Take all that money get a good tranny do a swap or get a Level 10 rebuild and have your motor rebuild with good 8.5 pistions and rods, have a RIPP supercharger or a nice turbo setup added to it. you will turn between 300 and 400+ hp and have a car that won't give you near the headaches you supermodded 3000GT -VR4/Galant will.

Maybe there is someone here who has done more digging than I have maybe they can give you more solid numbers.

Good luck with the swap.

Wes

Black2k1GTZ
08-18-2002, 01:29 AM
Like I said in your other posts about this. It will be cheaper..and you get more for your money to just mod the engine you have...or do a v6 swap and mod that. You could easily get beween 300 and 450hp out of your 4 cyl...and close to 500 with a v6.

And youll still have money to take out the girls who will be sweatin' your nuts for having such a fast car!!!!!!!

Marc

Ghost Beat
08-18-2002, 02:48 AM
yea i know about the 15 to 20 g's involved but im willing to push the money if it give s me the engine just need to know if there's any way to fit one in is all thanks a lot for teh answer so it can fit its just a bitch to add everything togehter that i knew just wanted to know if the engine woudl fir in teh engine bay but again thanks a lot for the details also on the side whaever happend to that tt for the v6 eng for the galant?

burthold
08-18-2002, 11:16 AM
Will the engine fit? Sure. I'm also pretty sure that you could shoe horn in a small block V8 If you really wanted to. I am just having a problem with the whys. If you are going with a manual swap why not do it out of an eclipse have it regeared to your liking and drop a 3.5l stroked to a 3.8 with some 8.5 pistons and a supercharger. You will eat other cars for lunch all day long.

Can you give some insite as to why you are so dead set on the e VR-4 engine and AWD 6 speed tranny that comes with it?

Wes

Kingman
08-18-2002, 08:00 PM
I am certain the engine can be done, the tranny will require some work.

The VR4 tranny has an idler gear in it. So it does spin the same direction as our motor. As you know the VR4 is also awd. You WOULD have to have all the custom connectors made to make the awd work for the tranny to perform correctly.

Take the VR4 motor, eclipse 5 speed. and do the custom intake piping. The ECU don't worry about it, just do a custom tech unit. People on the 316 board are using them and can help with the adjustments.

Beware though the dohc head is about 3/4" taller than the v6 sohc so you will need a hood or modifications.

It can be done, about 5g probably. Check out some of the JDM suppliers that advertise you can get the whole motor, manifolds and turbo's for about 2600.

Good luck.

burthold
08-18-2002, 08:59 PM
The DOHC motor in a VR-4 mounts the opposite direction and will not mate up with an elipse tranny. I don't see how it could work that way. He can spend 1000 to 1500 on a haltech computer to replace the ECU. I KNOW you couldn't get it done for 5g total. I talked to the two local speed shops here about the swap when I first got my car. Hell, just to swap a 5 speed tranny off an eclipse into our car is gonna run you 2 or 3g's right off the top. If you know a speed shop that will do it for 5g's you better post thier address and phone number. I'm driving streight there. As far as the AWD you would need to rebuild the transaxle to be FWD only. You are looking at more money to hook up the rear with the rearend from a VR-4 too.
Dude, a turbo kit is gonna run you 3500 or more its gonna cost 500 to 1500 to have it installed and tuned. You are telling me I can get a DOHC V6 with the turbos and have it installed CHEAPER than putting an aftermarket turbo on?

I know I'm sounding abit negative here... If you have pics or something to the effect or can point us to a speed shop that has done this on a galant or eclipse I would love to see it. I garantee proof shuts me up every time.

Wes

Black2k1GTZ
08-18-2002, 09:54 PM
I gotta agree with Wes on this one. As far as I have found out...$5,000 will barely cover the labor. This swap isnt owrth the money in my eyes...it would be cheaper to just buy a VR4!!!

Marc :mg:

Ghost Beat
08-18-2002, 10:45 PM
hehe yea i know i hear this from everybody but i dont know its just something ive realy wanted for a while i mean if you guys dont wana do it thats cool with me to each their own i just realy wana do it to make a hollywood statement out of it its just a dream iv ehad for a while so why not? i mean i could get another car with it and almost did but couldnt part with my lant so thats about it im gona try and get it done as for labor i save a lot of money on it caus i know someone and i will pay probably 25% of what everyone else would pay so just wish me luck!!! caus i sure as hell am gona need it im gona start scopin out some junk yards soon and look for a rear ender keep your fingers crossed

Kingman
08-19-2002, 08:26 AM
you guys tend to be negative.

Yes the VR4 mounts backwards. That is true. It spins the same direction though. Like I said the VR4 tranny has an idler gear in it.

Junkyards sometimes have 3g tranny's for less than a grand.

As far as labor, I was not counting that cause if you are going to do that big of a job, you ought to read enough to learn how to do it on your own. Haltechs btw are 1000 even from vision imports.

burthold
08-19-2002, 08:45 AM
Dude, are you on drugs? Read enough to do the swap on your own??? I was a mechanic and have built several cars from scratch. I really doubt a shade tree mechanic could just drop this motor in his ride and call it a day. The base haltech from visionimports is 1000 bucks you are right there. But you shouldn't even need it if you have the ECU from the 3000gt to begin with.

Like I said, I hope the swap goes well for you Ghost Beat. You will be in a class all your own for sure then.

Wes

Ghost Beat
08-19-2002, 04:26 PM
hey now lets not argue https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif were all here for one reason thats to help each other out yea and thanx a lot for all the info im gona start going to shops prolyl this weekend and a junkyard or 2 around here again thanx for all the help

Kingman
08-19-2002, 07:54 PM
Yes if you have the ECU and do a total swap of the motor and that then you won't need the haltech.

But here are the things working in your direction.

Blocks are the same. So your tranny should match up.

But it would be cheaper to build your own twin turbo.

Ghost Beat
08-19-2002, 10:59 PM
yea it would be cheaper but it wouldnt be as fast