PDA

View Full Version : tranny swap in an 02

rammor02
09-04-2008, 02:56 PM
I have searched and cant find anyone that has done a swap on an 02 or 03 with a working speedo.
I have a problem with my car.
Every time I hit WOT my left front axle/ wheel shakes. I replaced the axle one time and that seemed to fix the problem. Now today as i was turning a corner and accelerated it started shaking again.
The only thing I can think of is something inside the tranny.
I do have a 5 spd with all thats needed, but i have read that the speedo doesnt work.
any suggestions???

BTW. I put this here cuz it may lead to the swap earlier than expected.

02galant
09-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Rather than be a jackass and tell you to search I will spoon feed you:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=19778

Your Welcome

rammor02
09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
be a jackass if you will, LOL. :p
i have read that thread and it says towards the bottom of the thread it did not work. I did search and still no answer.

02galant
09-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Well whoever did it did it wrong. I am the one the took Cali's wiring and did it on my car it is works perfectly. Some people just dont follow instructions.

rammor02
09-05-2008, 04:44 PM
cool, i understand wiring pretty well. So I'm sure i can figure it out. Just wanted to make sure it was possible.

My real problem is the shaking tho. Every time I hit WOT it shakes like my Left front wheel is swimming.
as soon as let off it smooths out.

I checked bearing, axle, lower ball joint, and tie rod....no play
u think it could be inside the tranny?...I'm down to my last possible problem.

02galant
09-05-2008, 04:46 PM
That dont know. I do have a auto tranny for you with 65k for very cheap if you wanted to try that.

rammor02
09-05-2008, 04:54 PM
no thanks, already have the 5 spd tranny lying around.

just trying to solve the problem b4 I do it, its my only car and cant be out of cimmision. Although I know the swap can be done in a few hrs.

Johnathansgalant
09-05-2008, 06:21 PM
first off u sure the balance and alignment is good?? Also how did u check the wheel bearing?? If it was the tranny then u would experience that most likely when accel and decell i would think. Check ur tire pressure too

DryBear
09-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Just a thought, maybe the wheel is out of balance?

rammor02
09-05-2008, 07:28 PM
tire pressure is good, no "bubble" in tire. I put the front end in the air. wiggled wheel from side to side., no play...usually when bearing is bad it will have some play or make noise when it spins no matter what.

wiggled from top to bottom to check ball joint no play either.

shaft looks good and only has maybe 100 miles on it

and finally wheel is balanced correctly...had done twice.

not sure about alighnment. not saying this is the way to determine alighnment problems but i can let the wheel go and it steers straight.

rammor02
09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
well the verdict

i got under the car and did the wiggle test

this is a highly technical term used only by the best technicians in the world.:rolleyes: LOL

I wiggled the right axle and its solid...no play what so ever.

then the left...wobbled like a MF, well a little less than a 1/8" at the end of the shaft before the boot all the way around.

guess a lil too many nitrous hits and drops into 2nd...oh yeah and i was runnin' a 75 shot before.:shock:

JDM4G64T
09-06-2008, 07:51 AM
NOS in an automatic?? Big no-no............lol

rammor02
09-06-2008, 10:00 AM
yeah have to agree with you there

But don't the auto and 5 spd use the same parts internally as far as where the axles go into?
I would think they would be.
At what RPM do you launch for a good take off...although you have a whole diff set up.

DryBear
09-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I think its the safe open diff.

JDM4G64T
09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
yeah have to agree with you there

But don't the auto and 5 spd use the same parts internally as far as where the axles go into?
I would think they would be.
At what RPM do you launch for a good take off...although you have a whole diff set up.

About 3500-4000rpm

run1206
09-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Rather than be a jackass and tell you to search I will spoon feed you:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=19778

Your Welcome

i have been looking for this thread EVERYWHERE!!! Thank you!!!!! :D :D :D :D
not like i'm gonna do it tomorrow but at least i know where it is :)