PDA

View Full Version : Dimmer Switch Broken

Moosh
01-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Hello. I am having a problem with my dimmer switch. The lights in my car do not dim anymore when I roll the dimmer. It used to before. Today I installed a reverse glow gauge and powered it from the dimmer switchespower source, and the dimmer was not working before this so I can rule out the glow gauges. Do you guys have any suggestions? I checked all the fuses in the engine bay and by the pedals and have not found any broken fuses. Thanks.

pinoyesv6
01-21-2003, 03:27 PM
is the harness for the dimmer plugged into the dimmer? how are the contacts, are they still good?

Moosh
01-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Yes it is plugged in. As for as the contacts being good I don't know how to check that. I know for sure that its getting power through the green wire because that is currently powering my reverse glow gauges. How can I check?

pinoyesv6
01-21-2003, 05:57 PM
take the dimmer switch. now its gonna have 3 prongs or something. one is for the ground. then u will have on for the power going into the dimmer switch (thats what ur guages are hookedu p to) and one going out (thats where the lights get its dimming power. now get a multimeter or heck even just a 12v bulb or something and hook it to the ground and then the one with the power going out. put some kinda power supply to the power going in. now turn the knob. the light should change in brightness. if it doesn't then its the dimmer. if it does, then something is up with the harness. check to see that all the wires going to the harness are all in there securely

Moosh
01-21-2003, 07:35 PM
okay thanks ill try it out