PDA

View Full Version : Re-do brakes?

hellk4t
09-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, since Im doing a bunch of work to my g I want to redo my brakes as well at the same time...I'm buying what parts I can to save myself from buying it through the shop. What kinds of parts will I need to re-do my brake system? I'm really lost when it comes to that. Also, where is a good place to buy rotors + calipers?

pinoyesv6
09-06-2008, 12:29 PM
what is wrong with the brakes? what is your reasoning for redoing them? were they done wrong in the first place?

Ruslik
09-06-2008, 12:31 PM
be more specific
what exactly do you want to do to ur brakes

hellk4t
09-06-2008, 12:33 PM
what is wrong with the brakes? what is your reasoning for redoing them? were they done wrong in the first place?

They squeal.. alot.. I guess its more of me wanting to slap on some new rotors to go with my new rims and figured I might as well do it now while I have the shop changing out my struts and whatnot.

hellk4t
09-06-2008, 12:33 PM
be more specific
what exactly do you want to do to ur brakes

I don't really know, they squeal and I am lost when it comes to brakes. I just know I want rotors but as far as anything else I have no idea what I need.

9G
09-06-2008, 12:36 PM
try rotorpros. they have good deals.

mko
09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't really know, they squeal and I am lost when it comes to brakes. I just know I want rotors but as far as anything else I have no idea what I need.

get some good quality pads.

99 galant
09-06-2008, 01:42 PM
my squeal. i have heard its just the kind of pads we have

dknight3
09-06-2008, 06:31 PM
try rotorpros. they have good deals.
x2 for rotors, thats what i have :D

but the squeel, you either need new pads or you need to put anti squeel stuff on the back of your pads.

boochieboy
09-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah, use the brake pad gel stuff,,,,unless they're squealing because they need replaced,,,in that case get new ones and use the gel too. I'm also in the market for new rotors because the shop that rotated my tires torqued them unevenly and way too much and warped them:shock:

galantryinbattle
09-06-2008, 06:49 PM
theres also a little metal clip that rubs the rotor when the pad gets low enough and it makes a loud noise to scare you into buying new pads.

hellk4t
09-06-2008, 09:10 PM
word, thanks for the reponse guys.

nycking23
09-06-2008, 10:29 PM
theres also a little metal clip that rubs the rotor when the pad gets low enough and it makes a loud noise to scare you into buying new pads.

yup, i rode around on those for a month

732Galant
09-06-2008, 10:48 PM
When I did my brakes a few months ago, I went and spent the extra money on ceramic pads and got mid grade rotors, not the cheapies but not the ultra expensive ones. Ceramic pads from my experience are quieter, brake a bit better, and leave much less brake dust.

youngin3
09-07-2008, 12:28 AM
If you do get new rotors, then make sure you get a torque wrench to put your wheels back on. 90 ft/lb is probably best when you are putting them back on unless they or someone else calls for a different spec. I am no pro on this. I do brakes at work all the time and that is what I am told to torque them to when I put the rotors on if they get them.

Be sure to grease the pins in your calipers also. That is really something that should be done every time the brakes are touched. Get some synthetic grease to put on them and just coat them all around. Grease the notches in the brake pads and clips too so they slide back and forth with the least amount of friction.

You'll need something to compress the pistons too. They make tools for it, but if you get the old brake pad and a pry bar you can do it that way if you are careful. Either that or a C clamp. If you are a beast, then just give them a good squeeze. haha

Fishboy55
09-07-2008, 09:39 AM
There's no need to replace your rotors unless your current rotors are warped. A brake pad replacement shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, which includes time to jack up the car and bleed the lines. Save yourself some trouble and get a set of speed bleeders and put them in when you replace the pads. Also, if it's never been done, take the time to flush your brake fluid and add new fluid, DOT4. Brake fluid breaks down over time, especially if it gets hot or boils.
If you do decide to swap the rotors, there's nothing to it except to remove the caliper bolts and break the rusty seal that's holding the rotor in place. Be sure and get a manual to check the torque specs of anything you remove and torque all bolts down to the right specs. Our wheels should torque to 80 ft/lbs and over torquing the wheels is the biggest single cause of rotor warping. A brake job is one of the simplest and easiest back yard mechanical tasks you can do to your car.

boochieboy
09-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Torque specs for lug nuts on our cars is 65-80 ft-lbs, I usually just go 75 to play it safe.

acitydweller
10-07-2008, 08:41 AM
you should replace your rotors if the lip on them exceeds factory allowance.