PDA

View Full Version : Metal Head gaskets???

nitegsrider
01-21-2003, 01:35 PM
What's the point. Do they actually do anything. Heres one on ebay that i foud. I read what the guy said, and i was wondering if it was true. And how?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33617 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400868627&category=33617')

Kain
01-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Umm, is what true? The part about changing the CR is true, you can change the head gasket thickness to alter CR in small increments (actually, some race teams have made special "plates" to radically change the CR of the engines as needed) Metal head gaskets resist blowout better than organic type gaskets, so are preferred for turbo applications where the cylinder pressure is generally greater. But, they don't really make such a diffrence so as to warrent swapping to a metal one just for the sake of going to metal. But, it's worth the money if you're already gonna be in there (though $100 seems really steep), and plan major mods. It's a longevity thing more than anything else. Hope that helps.

manybrews
01-21-2003, 05:19 PM
dont waste time with it until the original fails (which will probably be never).
almost all of mitsus head gaskets have been upgraded to a multi-layered steel shim type, like that one.

they are better, but not enough to warrant replacing your current one. being as the 2.4 almost NEVER suffers from such a failure, it would be an utter waste of money.

JiP
01-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Besides that gasket is for a 2.0 not the 2.4 galant engine. The 2.4 gasket has like 5 more oil drain holes around the sides.

Hey Many,

You work for mitsu? How much is a 4g64 head gasket normally I need one for a head swap?

manybrews
01-22-2003, 06:28 PM
dont know right off the top of my head... but id guess around 70 bucks.

Kain
01-22-2003, 07:31 PM
$70?!?! Cripes, the one for my Colt was $15! And a Honda one is like $25. This is one area where I'd definitely say go with an aftermarket piece. Fel-Pro all the way.

manybrews
01-22-2003, 07:35 PM
i wouldnt use aftermarket gaskets if my life depended on it.

fel-pro makes some decent stuff, but its pretty awful compared to factory parts. ESPECIALLY with the head gaskets.