PDA

View Full Version : Bang for the Buck...

BlueESV6
01-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Reading posts on NOS, turbos and superchargers, I wonder which gives the best bang for the buck....

The turbo setup in final form would be about .... 5K?
The super charger like RIPP was about 6K+?
The NOS kits run about 500 to 1K?

Does anyone have a good idea of more accurate prices (I was guessing) and horsepower gains for each type of mod?

SuperchargedGTZ
01-21-2003, 03:10 PM
of the three i would narrow it down to either the SDS or nos.

SDS ups: which i might add everything is up, POWER all the time, reliable and during day to day driving you could just about smoke anybody without having to turn valves or activate anything or have to fill the bottles. Down: EXPENSIVE

NOS: Def. is much cheaper. but thats about it. but I am kind of biased cause i have the sds.

Actually, i am hoping that after i build the internals that i might do a 50-75 shot to help with the start (because of the auto)

NRG
01-21-2003, 03:38 PM
NOS is actually more expensive in the longrun.......To fill a 10lb bottle each time is around 35 bucks.....

SuperchargedGTZ
01-22-2003, 07:18 AM
you would have to fill alot of bottles to spend what i did :pukey:

pinoyesv6
01-22-2003, 09:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>NOS is actually more expensive in the longrun.......To fill a 10lb bottle each time is around 35 bucks.....</div>

if u fill that bottle up 100 times, thats only 3500 still cheaper than a turbo. i mean if u didn't blow up ur motor by then.

all of them are gonna be expensive. i did some shopping and a turbo kit and a blower are both gonna run u about 4k for the kit. just the kit alone. ur still gonna need some extra parts like with a blower a set of headers or with a turbo kit u might want a big prett FMIC. but yea then u got other things like maybe low compresson pistons or an AFC. those things will bring the price up. then don't forget about all the installation and then the tuning that is involved to get the best out of these mods.

but with nos u do run into something similar. u might want some things to make ur nitrous system a lil bitter, maybe build up ur motor so it can handle the stresses of nitrous more better. etc etc.

my say, if u want power all the time, go with a turbo or a blower. if ur just a weekend racer, u know maybe go to the track once a month or something and u really don't need all that power all the time, then just stick with some nos probably.

NRG
01-22-2003, 01:10 PM
The thing is a 10lb bottle doesn't last very long......If you drive the way I drive, I have to fill that sucker up every other day.......I drive like theres no tomorrow........

So in the end, I guess it just depends on how you use it.....

dukeplaya3169
01-23-2003, 01:33 AM
Manual swap--beef up the tranny afterwards...
Build up your internals/Port and Polish everything.
75+shot of n20
easy low 14...maybe high 13.

HeadAche
01-24-2003, 08:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dukeplaya3169)</div><div class='quotemain'>Manual swap--beef up the tranny afterwards...
Build up your internals/Port and Polish everything.
75+shot of n20
easy low 14...maybe high 13.</div>

Stay with the auto tranny, consistent track times, build the motor like i do, bulletproof the tranny like i did, high 12 low 13's, no problem..

D03GTZ
02-02-2003, 02:47 AM
Shane, if you dont mind me asking what are some of your best times? I just want to know what other people in their Galants are running. Im so used to big V8s in my chevys and sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake getting a little V6 front wheel drive car. Also, what is the fastest Galant out there that anybody has seen or heard of?

HeadAche
02-02-2003, 04:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Shane, if you dont mind me asking what are some of your best times? I just want to know what other people in their Galants are running. Im so used to big V8s in my chevys and sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake getting a little V6 front wheel drive car. Also, what is the fastest Galant out there that anybody has seen or heard of?</div>

Best time i ever ran, with the 1st motor, it was 13.51sec at 108mph, reaction time. .552. The second motor I have and using at the moment, it was 12.985sec at 103mph. reaction .539, this motor was better built and on c16.. All my times are kept at Bithlo Motorsports Speedway, in Orlando, FLorida.. That I have heard from local drag racers and guyz on here, i got probably one of the fastest I-4 8g's in the country, probably top 5 or so.. Fastest time i have heard, was someone on the board about, i think it was a 7g or 6g run mid 9sec passes, still street legal..

Moosh
02-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Dude you are my idol. I am going to follow your work on your I-4 like a disciple follows a prophet! Are you all motor with NOS? (talking to shane btw). Hehe.

HeadAche
02-02-2003, 11:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dude you are my idol. I am going to follow your work on your I-4 like a disciple follows a prophet! Are you all motor with NOS? (talking to shane btw). Hehe.</div>

For right now she is all motor,and will stay that way until i decide on what turbine i want to use.. I thought about a TD05, then i changed my mine to a Ballbearing t3/t04, but right now still undecided i got everything to run it just needs to make a decision..NItrous oxide is my passion though, i love the bottle.. Just when i thought i was done using it, i got a free 100-shot from ZEX, because i was one of there old sponsored rides..lol..

Auto-9
02-03-2003, 12:39 AM
For weekend warriors like me, nitrous is the way to go. It's cheaper. For all out power, I would prefer a twin turbo setup. 1 turbo to prevent turbo lag, and the other turbo to unleash hell on everyone once it spools up.

D03GTZ
02-03-2003, 06:31 AM
Well Rallifan Im definitely with you on the TT setup. Im not the brightest when it comes to turbos so bear with me guys, but could a German made KKK04(or two in my case) be set up to work. Or I really want to know if anybody has ever used one or tried one in their setup