PDA

View Full Version : newbie here with a tranny prob.

99mitsu
09-10-2008, 11:34 PM
imagie that a tranny prob on a 99 galant. ok so here it goes i took and was cruzing down I5 and the tranny acted like it was in neutral and come to find out it was shot no big deal i went to the local junk yard and i got one for like 600 bucks it only had 87,000 miles on it and i put it in and it worked great for like 4 months and it started to lung/jolt/cut out so i took it to the stealership and had the fluid flused and that worked great for like 3 weeks now it is doing it again so 3 days ago i unhooked the positive battery cable and let it sit for like 5 min to reset the computer and it was great for like 2 days now it is doing it again. i cant seem to figgure this darn thing out besides putting a 5 speed in it do you guys have any other sugestions. Thanks in advance. :confused:

4g63lover
09-10-2008, 11:36 PM
imagie that a tranny prob on a 99 galant. ok so here it goes i took and was cruzing down I5 and the tranny acted like it was in neutral and come to find out it was shot no big deal i went to the local junk yard and i got one for like 600 bucks it only had 87,000 miles on it and i put it in and it worked great for like 4 months and it started to lung/jolt/cut out so i took it to the stealership and had the fluid flused and that worked great for like 3 weeks now it is doing it again so 3 days ago i unhooked the positive battery cable and let it sit for like 5 min to reset the computer and it was great for like 2 days now it is doing it again. i cant seem to figgure this darn thing out besides putting a 5 speed in it do you guys have any other sugestions. Thanks in advance. :confused:

not to be a dick or anything but, first of all, you need to learn how to use real punctuation, spelling, and grammar.

ok with that aside, just swap to five-speed or buy a trans out of the junkyard (very expensive)

dwjp90
09-10-2008, 11:37 PM
5-spd for the win

99mitsu
09-10-2008, 11:52 PM
I already have a junkyard tranny in it now and its a pos. so im done with that route, i dont have time to do a 5speed swap because its a daily driver. so im trying to do long term fix untill i decide to do the swap if i do.

dwjp90
09-11-2008, 12:08 AM
with the right people and tools you can do it in 8hrs

99mitsu
09-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah I vealready done once by my self to took me like 9 it wasnt hard just time consumeing

dwjp90
09-11-2008, 12:17 AM
lol, take a weekend off and have a friend with you (a ride lol) thats what i would do

99mitsu
09-11-2008, 12:20 AM
lol yeah so it this like an extremely common prob with these cars my buddy never had a prob with his so thats why the wife and I got one they seemed to be pretty good cars. except this now. lol

dwjp90
09-11-2008, 12:22 AM
lol, do you have any aftermarket bulbs? the harness tends to melt lol 8p we have our probs, but so does neother car.

99mitsu
09-11-2008, 12:25 AM
i have aftermarket headlight bulbs in it but they are just the 55/60 not anything special

polishmafia
09-11-2008, 08:10 AM
so i took it to the stealership and had the fluid flused

There's your problem. If the fluid had never been flushed before that 87k mile mark, you shouldn't have flushed it.

01galant01
09-11-2008, 08:13 AM
There's your problem. If the fluid had never been flushed before that 87k mile mark, you shouldn't have flushed it.

x2, happen 2 me

spardavr4
09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
This sounds like the same exact symtpoms my car had when I put in an OEM factory cd player from an 02-03 galant into my 01 galant. Something from the cd player (somehow) was screwing up with the transmission and sometimes would make my car powerless and appear as if it was in neutral and I would have to manually go down to L then 2 then 3 then D. It also clanged and stuttered a lot.

Yes it was the radio because when I took it out and put an aftermarket one/the original tape player the car stopped with problems. I tried hooking the problem cd player in and boom same problem again. The mechanic at the mitsu dealer couldn't really understand why it was happening but said that some galants had a connection to the transmission where if you decelerated/ hit the brakes while going fast, the radio would turn the volume down.

99mitsu
09-11-2008, 10:27 PM
well the first tranny went compleatly out it wouldnt go forward backward any where. so i junked that one. this one i dont know the history on it becaus it was from a junkyard. but i will deffinatly look in to the wired cd player thing and see if that fixes it. it is intermitten not all the time so that is what is throwing me for a loop

99mitsu
09-18-2008, 11:41 PM
ok so come to find out it wasnt even the tranny after all it ended up being the camshaft positon sensor I just wanted to let you all know so it is something else to check when people think they are haveing this same prob. but thanks anyway guys you were alot of help and im sure i will be in touch again

Censee
09-19-2008, 12:36 AM
the title to this thread made me think it was a totally different subject,,,

spardavr4
09-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Should have thought of that myself, that happened to me not to long ago except my car completely shut itself off when my sensor went bad.

99mitsu
09-20-2008, 04:41 PM
yeah i lucked out mine was just intermitten so im glad i found it when i did.