PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't find a link specific....

732Galant
09-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Couldn't find a link specific to my issue. I have had a noise for some time now that I am assuming is front sway bar related. I am hoping that by just changed the sway bar bushings, the noise will go away. It is kind of like a rattling noise that is only heard on rough pavement, bumps, etc. Some various things led me to believe it is sway bar related so Im going to do the bushing like I said. My main question is, is this something a person with limited mechanical ability can do? If not, then how long would it take for a mechanic to do?

tamim13
09-12-2008, 12:24 AM
I had a similar problem, but with rattling it sounds more like ball joints isn't it? I think the sway bar bushing would be more like a creaking sound. Sway bar links also could be the culprit here. I actually changed all three of them and then all my noises went away in the front. What you should do is jack the car up, get under there with a rubber hammer and knock on the ball joints, sway bar links and bushings and see if you can hear any noises.

732Galant
09-12-2008, 06:37 AM
I dont know, could be ball joints. If its that about how long would that be labor wise? Is it doable with little experience?

tamim13
09-12-2008, 10:50 AM
If you are changing the ball joints, it's actually advisable to change the actual lower control arm(s). This is not too hard to do, it's mostly mechanical work, like taking the wheel off, and about 3-4 bolts to take the control arm off. Just remember these bolts might be seized or rusted in, so, just spray some WD40 the night before and let it loosen up for the following morning's work.

732Galant
04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but if I want to use the sway bar links are a starting point in finding the rattling, how hard is it to change those out?

01blackG
04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Sway bar links are most likly your problem. They have problly broke loose either at the top or the bottom connection points which is why you hear the rattle type noise. They are not that hard to do and if you have a wrench set and possibly a cut off wheel you can actually do it your self. If you can change the breaks on the car you can do the sway bar links, the links are actually easier in difficulty.
The hardest part in doing the links is getting the old sway bar links off.

If you need any suggestions on how to get the old ones off let me know I tried multiple ways. One thing i recommed is parking the car the night before you are going to replace the links and use some penitrating oil like, WD-40 or PB spray on the bolts let it sit all night like that so the next day you will have an easier time getting them off.

732Galant
04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Alright, Im almost positive it is the links. When I am going over a lil crack in the road, or a minor bump and stuff its noticeable. Thanks for the advice.

01blackG
04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Yep that sounds like the links.