PDA

View Full Version : Problem Starting

sd2775906
01-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Lately I've been having problems starting my car. I turn the key and usually it won't start or if I'm lucky, it'll start, rev at 2000 rpm, and stall/turn off. Eventually after 1 min, it will start or if I turn the key a couple times after hitting the wheel. I took the car to the dealership and they gave me a new battery under warranty (one week left until the 2 yr warranty expired https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif ) & said everything was fine. An hour later & later on, same problem again & going back to dealership tomorrow to have a look. What could it be? Pissing me off... :evil:

peanotation
01-21-2003, 08:24 PM
jesus, that could be a number of things. could be your idle speed, ur air flow sensor could be fucked up. what a lot of people here at TGC dont understand is that the dealership is out to fuck you in the ass with a huge metal pole. never ever take your car to the dealership, unless it's under warranty, which yours is. try going to a private/independent auto shop, they only want to fix the problem as quickly and correctly as possible (i work at one). sorry, dont know what to tell you besides for that.

Auto-9
01-21-2003, 09:08 PM
2 years? I thought the industry standard was 3 yr/36,000 miles?

BlankMan
01-21-2003, 10:07 PM
I beleive he is referring the the battery as having a 2yr warranty...

J

pinoyesv6
01-21-2003, 10:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>2 years? I thought the industry standard was 3 yr/36,000 miles?</div>

the battery has its own seperate warranty. everything thats like wear and tear like the brakes and ur battery, has its own special warranty

BlankMan
01-21-2003, 10:08 PM
I beleive he is referring the the battery as having a 2yr warranty...

J

Auto-9
01-22-2003, 07:00 AM
Ah...how did everyone catch that and I miss it :? Must be losing my touch...shoot well now we all know why the battery fails exactly at the 2 year mark eh?

pinoyesv6
01-22-2003, 09:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ah...how did everyone catch that and I miss it Â*:? Must be losing my touch...shoot well now we all know why the battery fails exactly at the 2 year mark eh?</div>

grrr mine died like a day or two after the warranty expired. had to walk my ass to walmart (closest place that had a battery) buy a battry, buy a tool kit (had to install the bad boy too) and carry that shit all the way back to my car.

BlueESV6
01-26-2003, 09:41 AM
Yea... my battery made it to around the 2 year mark and then.... NOTHIN'!!!

Is the car just not turning over? or is it turning over but not firing up??? Your description sounded like it starts then dies???

Auto-9
01-26-2003, 09:51 AM
After re-reading your post I'm starting to be reminded of my little experience last week. It sounds like the fuel isn't getting to the engine properly. If you can hear it cranking instead of the "tick tick tick" of a dead battery that means the battery is fine, and since you just had it replaced it should be...which makes me believe there's probably something fuel related...or a failed spark plug or something or another.

sd2775906
01-26-2003, 11:37 PM
I noticed that after I put the reverse gauges in, the car won't start if I have my headlights on. I haven't been back to the dealership yet. The car doesn't make the "tick tick tick" when I try to start. I still have problems starting it though with the new battery.

Fishboy55
01-27-2003, 06:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sd2775906)</div><div class='quotemain'>I noticed that after I put the reverse gauges in, the car won't start if I have my headlights on. Â*I haven't been back to the dealership yet. Â*The car doesn't make the "tick tick tick" when I try to start. Â*I still have problems starting it though with the new battery.</div>
Sounds like something in the gauge wiring is wrong, especially if you can't start the car with the headlights on. That ticking is probably one of the relays. Make sure you tapped the correct hot wire when you put the gauges in. This has been a common problem lately I've noticed. A lot of posts about problems after installing gauges. Read the tutorial and take your time guys. Double check your work.

Chip

sd2775906
01-27-2003, 09:02 AM
I remember when I was going to use the tap connectors and was going to tap the red wire to the green one, I didn't exactly see a green wire. So I guessed and tapped the one with the most green to it.

pinoyesv6
01-27-2003, 09:20 AM
u tapped for power at the dimmer switch right? not the harness at the back of the speedo. the reason i ask is because the dimmer switch has nothing to do with starting the car. i can cut that bad boy off and the car should still start.

this is where u tap for power. as u can see there is a green yellow and black wire.

https://thegalantcenter2.com/tutorials/gauges/frame3.jpg

Kalamidad
01-27-2003, 07:01 PM
how can i take off my gauge, i want to replace the bulbs