PDA

View Full Version : SES Light on....P0400 code

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
So, I now have the EGR flow malfunction code. I replaced the EGR valve, got the code cleared, and then about 100 miles later it came back on with the same code. I read in another post that it could be a bad gas cap, but i don't see how that affects the EGR. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing the code?

99 galant
09-15-2008, 07:02 PM
my uncle had the prob with the gas cap on a diff car. it sucks in air when the seal is back or the cap is off and it throws your system all crazy. not sure if thats the same with the G but its worth a try

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 07:09 PM
i'll grab a gas cap tomorrow since they are cheap but i'll still like to see if anyone might know what else might be going on.

guynlidia2006
09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
i would of done the gas cap first... that is very common...

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 07:23 PM
i would of done the gas cap first... that is very common...

well i didn't know about the gas cap thing till just now

guynlidia2006
09-15-2008, 07:26 PM
we live and learn... i know this because i am in the business...

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 07:27 PM
we live and learn... i know this because i am in the business...

i know, i saw your other post

99 galant
09-15-2008, 07:29 PM
damn i helped! lol :lol: lets hope it works!

good luck man

Fishboy55
09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
First off, P0400 is not a valid code for either the I-4 or the V6, so whoever is reading your codes needs to get a more sophisticated code reader that includes Mitsubishi codes and not just generics.
There are two EGR codes in the 0400 range for our cars. They are 0401, EGR insufficient flow or 0403, EGR solenoid malfunction. Our cars measure EGR functionality by using the manifold differential pressure sensor. The likely causes are the EGR solenoid valve, the vacuum hoses going to it or the differential pressure sensor. The gas cap has absolutely nothing to do with the EGR system. A loose or leaking gas cap will throw an evaporative emissions system code, not an EGR code. Check the obvious, not the obscure and link up to the online copy of the repair manual before you spend money on unnecessary parts.

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 08:17 PM
First off, P0400 is not a valid code for either the I-4 or the V6, so whoever is reading your codes needs to get a more sophisticated code reader that includes Mitsubishi codes and not just generics.
There are two EGR codes in the 0400 range for our cars. They are 0401, EGR insufficient flow or 0403, EGR solenoid malfunction. Our cars measure EGR functionality by using the manifold differential pressure sensor. The likely causes are the EGR solenoid valve, the vacuum hoses going to it or the differential pressure sensor. The gas cap has absolutely nothing to do with the EGR system. A loose or leaking gas cap will throw an evaporative emissions system code, not an EGR code. Check the obvious, not the obscure and link up to the online copy of the repair manual before you spend money on unnecessary parts.

well both auto zones here got the same code.

Fishboy55
09-15-2008, 08:29 PM
well both auto zones here got the same code.
What's your point? It's still not an 8G code.

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
What's your point? It's still not an 8G code.

not making a point just saying who read the code. so where should i get the code read then? the dealership so they can rape me for reading the code?

732Galant
09-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I got that evidently generic code on mine. I cleaned out the intake manifold and unclogged some of the lines and it went away after resetting the engine. My intake manifold was really carboned up as were some of the lines in the EGR system.

greddy
09-15-2008, 08:32 PM
You could go to a shop that specializes in mitsus, we have several in our area, they don't charge anything for just reading a code

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 08:34 PM
You could go to a shop that specializes in mitsus, we have several in our area, they don't charge anything for just reading a code
i don't have any specialty shops around here that i'd ever seen

Fishboy55
09-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Or you could spend $50 - $100 and buy your own code reader.

But why the fuck are you arguing with me about getting the code read. I gave you the most likely fixes and saved you from buying a gas cap you didn't need. You should just appreciate it and stop trying to hand me some useless bullshit.

732Galant
09-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Flie, You seem to have an answer for everything

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Flie, You seem to have an answer for everything
ok whatever you say

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Or you could spend $50 - $100 and buy your own code reader.

But why the fuck are you arguing with me about getting the code read. I gave you the most likely fixes and saved you from buying a gas cap you didn't need. You should just appreciate it and stop trying to hand me some useless bullshit.
dude i'm not fucking arguing with you. jesus fucking christ.

more than likely it is the 401 code since it said on the print out that it was insufficient flow.

and maybe i don't have the money right now to buy a damn code reader which i will use once in a blue moon

Fishboy55
09-15-2008, 09:14 PM
dude i'm not fucking arguing with you. jesus fucking christ.

more than likely it is the 401 code since it said on the print out that it was insufficient flow.

and maybe i don't have the money right now to buy a damn code reader which i will use once in a blue moon
I give up with you. Nevermind and you're welcome. End of thread.

RedGalant2k1
09-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Who cares about the code reader? Just get a Mitsubishi Service manual. Hell just take a short drive to the factory in town and see if you can get a copy for free. I did when I went to normal, didn't you?

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
i got the one for the 2000. shouldn't be too much different than the 1999

RedGalant2k1
09-15-2008, 10:50 PM
i got the one for the 2000. shouldn't be too much different than the 1999

Nope, by and large the code listing is exactly the same. There may be minor changes from 2000 to 2001 because of 2001 being only Cali spec.

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Nope, by and large the code listing is exactly the same. There may be minor changes from 2000 to 2001 because of 2001 being only Cali spec.
well i'm not seeing the codes any where and very little about the egr

RedGalant2k1
09-15-2008, 11:02 PM
well i'm not seeing the codes any where and very little about the egr

Look in Volume 2 13B-5 in my copy. It will all be under "Fuel"

guynlidia2006
09-15-2008, 11:04 PM
i say your best bet is to take it to a shop to look at it... most shops will charge like 50 bucks for the check out time, and it saves you from guessing and spending money you dont need to spend

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Look in Volume 2 13B-5 in my copy. It will all be under "Fuel"
got it. thanks.

and it looks like i have to correct fishboy now.

fishboy, according to our service manuals, that came straight from the factory, code P0400 is a correct code for our cars.

RedGalant2k1
09-15-2008, 11:16 PM
got it. thanks.

fishboy, according to our service manuals, that came straight from the factory, code P0400 is a correct code for our cars.

Regardless of the code discrepancy (not that there is one, because a p0400 is generic) the diagnosis procedure and parts he mentioned are correct.

fliegendaffe
09-15-2008, 11:23 PM
well a lot a the stuff in these manuals i can't even do since i don't have those tools. like the hand vacuum pump or what not. so i guess i have to say fuck it and take it to somewhere. so much for trying to fix my car myself and getting pride over doing so.

Fishboy55
09-16-2008, 05:52 AM
got it. thanks.

So let me get this straight... you've had a copy of the service manual all along and you're too stupid or lazy to open it up and look in it. But the important thing to you in this thread is the need to correct me. Well keep reading because Dave will also tell you that P0400 is a generic code, so I guess you can correct him as well. We keep forgetting that your vast experience in servicing and modifying Galants has given you superior knowledge over the rest of us.

Ok, I was wrong, the fix is a gas cap. Go buy one. If that doesn't fix it try changing to Fall air in your tires, the Summer air is probably worn out now and is giving you an EGR code.

well a lot a the stuff in these manuals i can't even do since i don't have those tools. like the hand vacuum pump or what not. so i guess i have to say fuck it and take it to somewhere. so much for trying to fix my car myself and getting pride over doing so.

How many of the rest of us that actually work on our cars have all the tools recommended in the factory service manual? I've got a code reader and a good set of basic tools, like most everyone else. Stop whining and learn by trying to fix your car... A failed attempt or two will teach you a lot more than being lazy or arguing with people that are trying to give you advice. Take the manual and read it. Follow the suggestions we give you on here instead of acting superior and looking for a way to prove you're right. Didn't the argument you had about electronics several months back teach you anything?

fliegendaffe
09-16-2008, 07:57 AM
ok yeah....how the fuck am i going to try to fix anything if i don't have the tools to test the parts that the service manual says are bad? and i totally forgot i had the service manuals that i got from B2N because i've never needed to use them.

732Galant
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Not to throw lighter fluid onto this, but this is what happens when the so called "vets" of this board attack others.

RedGalant2k1
09-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Not to throw lighter fluid onto this, but this is what happens when the so called "vets" of this board attack others.

Not really, and you should understand this ONLY in context of this thread. There are generic OBDII codes, and there are specific Manufacturer OBDII codes. The generic ones can lead you the right direction, but without the actual manufacturer specific code you have a LOT of diagnostic to do to correctly solve the problem. That or you could just completely guess at the problem and concurrently guess for the solution.

Either way neither is monetarily smart, or may it even solve the issues. The problem is he was given a generic code by a generic code reader. He made an assumption for repair based on the answers he was given. There is the main issue right there. I like the OP has a full and specific service manual for our cars (mine an 02, his a 2000 ). The specific code is in there and if he'd looked he would have seen it and not have had to even post about it.

In any case neither Chip or myself were attacking him, Chip gave him the proper codes, and the proper procedure for correcting said codes. I merely supported the statements already made. So be careful before you condemn people especially the 'vets' of this board, no offense.

99 galant
09-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Dave dont even try to explain to him... look at his Sig.

RedGalant2k1
09-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Dave dont even try to explain to him... look at his Sig.

Ic, good point. It includes grammatical errors and misspellings also.

99 galant
09-16-2008, 04:47 PM
just the FEW and BUNCH thing. theres quite a few good people on here. the amount of good people VS the "douche bags" is like 10:1 if not higher.

732Galant
09-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Forget it. To the OP I would have someone check it out. From what I have read EGR systems are a PITA to figure out unless you have some sort of knowledge and tools to check. Listen to what Fish said if you can get a hold of the tool and use the manual.

99 galant
09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
nice fix on the sig.

732Galant
09-16-2008, 10:15 PM
\