PDA

View Full Version : Brake Rotors and Pads

tamim13
09-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi guys,

So, it's getting cold over here now, and my OEM brakes are squealing to high heaven. I've decided to change them and have read around here for suggestions. What I can see from what the experts have suggested are powerslot rotors and hawk hps pads. Now, I've also seen the GB from r1concepts and I'm pretty happy with the prices. At one point I was also suggested going with the Brembo Slotted rotors. Price-wise, the most comfortable on the wallet is the r1concepts combination with the following setup -

FRONT ELINE ROTORS
FRONT PADS POSI CERAMIC

I'm open to suggestions please. I would like to know the following. Just for your information, mine is an 03 Galant, and is my daily driver, no performance mods whatsoever.

I'm looking for -

1. Quiet
2. Virtually no brake dust (I hate cleaning my rims and having to see them filthy in 2 days)
3. The difference between slotted and drilled and slotted (no aesthetic value needed, I prefer safety first)
4. No big brake kit suggestions please.
5. If I can use rotors that fit the 3g eclipse and which year would fit with no mods

Open to all other suggestions, also guys who have used r1concepts and what they think of their products especially the difference between eline and premium.

Jeffylou87
09-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Go with R1 Concept brakes.. I got all four rotors and all pads for under 300.. They are amazing.. No rust no noise.. Just perfect.

Edit: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=25746&page=2

RedGalant2k1
09-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I'd recommend factory style brake pads. Everything else won't perform up to par for most people. And if your #1 requirement is that they are quiet, you want Akebono. I have them front and rear for my Galant, they are by far the best I've seen and had.

tamim13
09-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Go with R1 Concept brakes.. I got all four rotors and all pads for under 300.. They are amazing.. No rust no noise.. Just perfect.

Edit: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=25746&page=2

Thanks for the input! Yeah I saw the GB and had got a very reasonable price from them too. How's the braking power in the cold, I might be going to Boston for the winter, and not looking forward to that at all.

tamim13
09-20-2008, 11:08 PM
I'd recommend factory style brake pads. Everything else won't perform up to par for most people. And if your #1 requirement is that they are quiet, you want Akebono. I have them front and rear for my Galant, they are by far the best I've seen and had.

How's the dust on Akebono? Do you have any issues with that?

RedGalant2k1
09-21-2008, 02:54 AM
How's the dust on Akebono? Do you have any issues with that?

Almost none.

tamim13
09-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Almost none.

Then I think I'll go with your recommendation. Akebono ProACT I guess is what you recommend, right? Is this a good price?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Akebono&model=ProACT+Ceramic+Pads&group=ProACT+Ceramic+Pads&autoMake=Mitsubishi&autoModel=Galant+ES+4cyl&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&perfCode=P

tamim13
09-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Need a little more information please. I found this on tirerack using a link on one of greddy's posts -
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Brembo&model=Sport+Slotted+Rotors&group=Sport+Slotted+Rotor&autoMake=Mitsubishi&autoModel=Galant+ES&autoYear=1999&autoModClar=&perfCode=S

Do you know why we can't get this for the '03 Galant? Did the front rotors change in dimensions or something between 99 and 03?

greddy
09-21-2008, 08:42 PM
naw, they should be the same size, if you want to make sure just call up tire rack, I have my rotors sitting in the garage with my hawk pads.

Jeffylou87
09-21-2008, 08:48 PM
There is a difference however between the i4 and v6

tamim13
09-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes, I'll call them and find out, yeah, mine's an i4 as well, so it should be the same. Let me check with them.

RedGalant2k1
09-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Need a little more information please. I found this on tirerack using a link on one of greddy's posts -
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Brembo&model=Sport+Slotted+Rotors&group=Sport+Slotted+Rotor&autoMake=Mitsubishi&autoModel=Galant+ES&autoYear=1999&autoModClar=&perfCode=S

Do you know why we can't get this for the '03 Galant? Did the front rotors change in dimensions or something between 99 and 03?

Can't tell you why, as far as I know with the exception of the dual piston to single piston brake calipers I am not aware of the rotors being different. As Jeffy said the I4 and V6 are different, and also to add the I4 Eclipse and V6 Eclipse are also different from the Galant counterparts.

tamim13
09-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys. Let me check with Mitsu tomorrow as well, as I'm going there to get some other stuff. Couldn't find any threads on which rotors are inter-compatible though. As Red says, I'm curious to know more details why the i4 eclipse and galant don't share the same rotors.

tamim13
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM

Thanks a lot Red. I've been with Akebono for the last 2 weeks now, and they are awesome. No dust and good bite too.

Ruslik
10-15-2008, 12:19 PM
i cant decide between hawks and akebono
both get great reviews and price difference is like only 20 bucks

tamim13
10-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I got my Akebono for $63 for the front ones with local pickup, so I saved on shipping. How much is the price difference?

greddy
10-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I can almost 100% say that the Hawks will give you more dust, but they have great bite.

Ruslik
10-15-2008, 12:39 PM
well im putting on my new slotted rotors
but stopping power and noise are my main concerns
but washing my wheels isnt my favorite thing to do

greddy
10-15-2008, 01:54 PM
I have the hawks, and I love them.

galant3jl12's
10-15-2008, 04:50 PM
I have the Powerslot Rotors and I don't know if its normal but they're a little rusty after sitting for like one full day and I have Axxis I believe ceramic brake pads they work pretty good but they give off a lot of brake dust either that or the slotted rotors do. I had hawk brake pads on my stock rotors before and I really liked those.

Ruslik
10-17-2008, 11:18 AM
ic well i will go with hawks and see how they perform