PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Car wont start !!!

eddiero
01-22-2003, 08:30 PM
I have a 95' galant S 5-speed. The other night I started the car and backed out of my driveway, then it suddenly died. It turns over but it does not want to turn on. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I just gave it a tune up and replaced the plugs, wires , distributor cap and rotor. Thanks -Eddie-

2True
01-22-2003, 09:03 PM
If you just did a tune up, I would go back and retrace your steps. Just to make sure you didn't forget something...

That reminds me of a time I gave my car a full tune up, did everything, took two days. After I was done the car didn't start at all, just a click. I retraced my steps and found .... fergot to actually put IN the spark plugs! LOL

Sorry to spam yer post bro, just had to share that while I was thinking of it.

manybrews
01-22-2003, 09:51 PM
if its not something you left loose, its probably a dead distributor. rather common on the 94 and 95s.

but have it checked out BEFORE you just buy a distributor. there around 400 bucks, minimum.

JiP
01-23-2003, 12:07 AM
Why doesnt mitsu just sell the damn coil without having to buy the entire distributer shaft,camsensor, etc...

4G64
01-23-2003, 12:32 AM
distributor... I had the same problem with my 95.. and I think a lot ppl with 94 95 (like manybrew said) share similar problem... one night was fine.. next morning.. won't start.. engine turns over.. but won't start....

that damn distributor... and its not even on the factory recommended replacement list....

eddiero
01-23-2003, 04:45 PM
I took the distributor out and tried to get it tested but no one could test it. I also took the oil cap off and tried to turn it over to see if the there was any movement and nothing moved. I then loosened the timing belt cover and turned it over again, nothing moved. The timing belt looks worn so i think thats the problem but I wonder if i might have damaged anything internally. Any thoughts? Thanks -Eddie-

manybrews
01-23-2003, 05:22 PM
if youre cranking the engine, but the camshaft is not turning, then yes, the timing belt has stripped or broken.

and you have absolutly damaged the engine. nearly every mitsu engine every produced in an interference engine.

95vegasgalant
01-24-2003, 10:50 PM
:twisted: Im pretty sure that mitsu are none interferance engines which means you didnt fuck anything up but check with the dealer ask if its interferance or none interferance and if its not be sure to put the belt on with the markings all lined up and time to put your camgears :twisted:

manybrews
01-25-2003, 09:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95vegasgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>:twisted: Im pretty sure that mitsu are none interferance engines which means you didnt fuck anything up but check with the dealer ask if its interferance or none interferance and if its not be sure to put the belt on with the markings all lined up and time to put your camgears :twisted:</div>
i just said that nearly every mitsu engine built is an interference engine.
any with 4 valves per cylinder DEFINATLY are, and most with 2 valves also usually are.
so yes, breaking a belt on a 2.4 liter will cause major engine damage.

eddiero
01-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Well i got the timing belt replaced this weekend and it runs fine once again. Thanks for the help -Eddie-