PDA

View Full Version : General question.........lifting the car

xcore
10-05-2008, 02:23 AM
ok,i lift up my car tonight(this is my first time), try to fix the gasket, i didn't put the jack point on those two notches, i put it right next to the notch. but the jack point is still on the rigid rack. while i lift to half way, i hear two loud crack noise from the car, is there anything may crack? i have test drive it, feel nothing wrong. second thing.........what are signs that my rear shock absorbers are going fail?
P.S. i knew my English is poor, but i really want some answers, i worry i wreck the frame or other important part..........

qnz
10-05-2008, 08:21 AM
was it a crack sound or wast it a groaning sound. my guess would be that its the suspension adjusting itself since you are compressing one side lower

xcore
10-05-2008, 11:04 AM
do know what does groaning sound like. but while i got that noise, the another side is already on the jack stand.

9G
10-05-2008, 11:26 AM
are you lowered?

boochieboy
10-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Don't mean to thread jack but if you're lifting(jacking) up the car using the notches on the side rails,,,how are you supposed to place jackstands in the notches? You'd either have to jack somewhere else and place the stands in the notches or jack in the notch and put the stand beside the notch. ??? I always wondered this.

xcore
10-05-2008, 11:59 AM
are you lowered?

no, it's stock

xcore
10-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Don't mean to thread jack but if you're lifting(jacking) up the car using the notches on the side rails,,,how are you supposed to place jackstands in the notches? You'd either have to jack somewhere else and place the stands in the notches or jack in the notch and put the stand beside the notch. ??? I always wondered this.

ya!!! i should jack your car:)...j/k
that is why i place the jack next to the notch, so i can put the notch on the jack stand. but just figure i should jack it up with jack point on the crossmember, so i can put the notch on the stand.

dknight3
10-05-2008, 03:21 PM

jack the whole front up with the jack, then stick the jackstands in.
put the jack right under your front bumper a little on the drivers side, you should see a big black bar thingy, and there will be two big bolts, jack it up right behind those 2 bolts.

polishmafia
10-05-2008, 03:43 PM
You can (practically) jack up the car anywhere along the pinchweld. The sounds was probably the car shifting its weight a little bit. It happens. As long as it didn't fall off the jack you should be fine.

...You should see how we lift some cars at the shop O_O haha

kolio
10-05-2008, 04:57 PM
jack the whole front up with the jack, then stick the jackstands in.
put the jack right under your front bumper a little on the drivers side, you should see a big black bar thingy, and there will be two big bolts, jack it up right behind those 2 bolts.

this is the best way to lift the whole front end. for sides it's not good.

you can't do this on lowered cars. a jack doesn't fit under my bumper.

but since the OP is not lowered he will be ok

boochieboy
10-05-2008, 07:25 PM
So, jack the car up on the anti-roll bar....good to know, thanks

dknight3
10-05-2008, 08:22 PM
this is the best way to lift the whole front end. for sides it's not good.

you can't do this on lowered cars. a jack doesn't fit under my bumper.

but since the OP is not lowered he will be ok

not unless you have coilovers or cut springs for an 8g..

lonestar22
10-05-2008, 08:32 PM
that bar under the front always lifts my car up sideways. so i usually do it one side at a time.

well not anymore since i have a lift