PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Maybe ? Any ideas ? =(

Eclipse97526
10-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Well i was driving home from work today, and my car just died outta no where.

i turned onto pinecrest " a big hill of a road " and it just lost all power, and shut off and died.

me thinking that it was maybe my battery, cause i was having problems with my batterys last week. appears my stereo was shorting out, so i removed it, and fixed the battery issues. But i figured maybe it was my battery. So tried starting it .

It didnt really make any Clack clak noise. But it feels like it has compression for the first few revolutions . Then its like just spinning.

After trying to start it for about 3 seconds, i knew right away that it was not a battery issue, And grabbed my wrench. Popped the hood, and immediatly went for the timing cover.

The timing belt is frayed. Pretty bad, All the way around it looks, only on one side, like it was rubbing or something. Then there is a small break, and it definatly felt like i just lost compression and had nothing.

the way it felt to me is like the timing belt jumped a few teeth or something ? I dont know, Im all freaked out cause this just happened... Im open to any ideas. Im going to take a closer look once it is daylight outside. \

There isint anything leaking from underneath. So im guessing its not a head gasket. And the water levels and everything are fine.
Im open to any ideas. Comments, or sujestions if applicable. Thanks guys . I really need to get my car running. My grandma is really sick in the hospital up in portland. And only has a few weeks left to live. I was planning on going up there this weekend.

Anyone got an extra head laying around ? 2.4 l SOHC 4cyl 4G64 ???? Please call me if so to discuss details.

my name is Nick
Phone # 541-761-6321

Thanks again for taking the time to read this. Hope someone can help. ill get back with more details tomarrow. Im going to line everything up TDC and see if my timing jumped . If so, I will be pulling my head to check the Valves. And will Most likely Have to have a replacement head im guessing.

So if anyone has a extra Motor layin around for a 4g64, or the head off a 4g64, Or has a 7g or 8 g Galant for sale. Please contact me also .

Eclipse97526
10-08-2008, 03:28 AM
kinda silly how it seems that i kinda tend to figure it out while im writing it.

Im guessing that the underside of the timing belt had some teeth chew off, or slip and tear some off, or something.
But the timing belt is tight. and im not going to sit there and try to start it over and over again, Cause im just hoping i still have a few good valves.

My question is to thoes of you with i guess... First hand experiences, lol....

I know our heads are 0 clearance heads... So how far can the valves actually travel before they colapse with the piston head ?

i guess im just crossing my fingers and all . that it just slipped a couple teeth , which leaned the timing back to far to run. or thus start. But hopefully not far enuf to damage any valves. This would be the case if it were per say. jump 1 or 2 teeth ? and stay on there tight and snug ?

Is there any way to check for bent valves ? other than tearing the head off ? I guess replace everything to TDC. and replace the timing belt , then do a compression test ?

Thank god for cummings turbo Diesels : ) ! whoo hoo !!!
Tow'd her home !

Eclipse97526
10-08-2008, 03:45 AM
i wish i could explain how it sounded when i tried starting it again. It wasnt like violent.

was normal at first. for a couple seconds, then just seemed like. spinning, but no compression or something. Then it sounded normal again like it was trying to start. And went in even patterns it seemed. but felt if i woulda tapped the gas a little it woulda fired up. But i have never had to do that.

and just by the way it slowly died, was like your battery or alternator going out . or like a off timed valve train

She has been running very very good thought. Like better than ever ... There was a slight whinning sound, But i read up on it and heard that it was normal... Im guessing now maybe my timing belt was to tight. and thats why my car sounded supercharged .

Thought the supercharger sound went away when i turned on my AC, and i just figured it was my pump going out or something.

pinoy724
10-08-2008, 10:56 PM
If you do change your timing belt, make sure that the crank sensor is not damaged. Also while you have it all apart, make sure your water pump is not leaking. I had the same problem, my timing belt snaped and damaged my crank sensor and timing plate. Hope this helps, goodluck.

Eclipse97526
10-09-2008, 02:47 AM
I actually just replaced the waterpump and alternator, and all that stuff 12420 miles ago As well as put on a timing belt... But my kit got lost in the mail, so i bought a cheap belt localy to get my car running. And the problem was evident as soon as i took the cover off...

I read the words.... Made in China for USA Specifications

and thats all that was readable.

Half of the timing belt was chewed off . The top half anyways. i will take pictures as soon as i get some new digi cam battery's

so i started takin everything apart . Tire , plastic covers, belts and all that.

lined everything up TDC. Went up to look. was 180 degrees off, So i spun the crank around 360, back on time. The timing mark was back 3 teeth off timing. So i checked my balancing shaft to make sure that it was on time as far as the lower end goes. It all checked out.
So i figured. what the heck, why not spin it around a couple times to see if i can find a tear or something....

Spun the belt and examened it. found a tear in it. about 1/2 way threw the timing belt, and was very loose and flimsy. So i went to spin her all back to TDC. And while i was doing so. The timing belt broke. I couldnt get the cams to mark up 3 teeth like it did before.

it didnt like break viloently, it just kinda bound up around the crrankshaft sprocket, and the cams stopped spinning. Ill have to take some pictures, i never seen anything like this...

Anyone know where to get the special timing tool to properly tourque down the tensioner ?'

i lost my PDF's So not sure what the part number was, or the specific name .

i used the allen wrench method previously. and im guessing it was done incorrectly, New timing belt is on the way. Hoping i dont need to do my valves ...

Eclipse97526
10-09-2008, 03:22 AM
BTW. Thanks for the heads up. I probably would have overlooked the crank angle sensor. But i will replace it now just out of cause.

i will also replace the crank plate, just because they are not that expensive.

jt600gsxr
11-03-2008, 05:02 AM
i just had the same exact problem with my galant i know the sounds and everything your talking about. but there is two timing belts on our car the big that we all see but there is a little one at the bottom behind the auto tensioner. my car did the same ran and just cut off.....then would not start for 20-30 but then boom just starts like nothing and after warm up bam cut off again......oil light flickers then comes on and car cuts off....so i change the belts which is a headache but i didnt line everything up right and i dont feel like doing it again so im just gonna buy a motor....but i can 2nd your experience..its you timing belt "B"

silversurfer
11-03-2008, 08:49 AM
the whining noise is your small belt its overtorqued , remember to have all the marks , timed in the right spots before u torque them , you really dont need a special tool to torque the cam sprocket, especially if you have done it a few dozen times, but the only thing that the tool does is prevent scratching or warping of the tensioner pulley when you use the allen wrench you have to be sure you follw the time guideline for the tensioner to let it properly torque and tension ir you dont the teeth will be out of line slightly and make sure that you disconnect your battery to let the computer get used to the new specs after the messed up timing marks got in the computer and run it for 15 minutes, one thing that i did was slightly sand down the two bolt openings on the flat side and the auto tensioner , then applied some high temp rtv, this is an oil galley and they dont tell u that in the manuals and if you have one slight scratch in the surface , the oil will leak from here and cause you to do a timing belt job again.if you need more help or have anyquestions e mail me.the tutorials on this web site are great and have helpful pictures

p.s. sorry a bout your grandma, our hearts go out to you bro.be strong

Eclipse97526
05-19-2009, 12:17 PM
I havent went back to this thread in forever. But it was the bearing inside my AC clutch pulley. This was a loud loud whining noise, like a super charger. but the timing belt also makes the same noise, The first time i over torqued my timing belt, it sounded pissed off. But that was more of a ZZZZZzzzzZZZZZ noise. Removed the AC pulley and put a shorter belt on, and the noise 100 % went away, so i tore apart the AC pulley, the bearing inside was Totaly shot, I ordered another replacement bearing from Nachi for 44 $ ! much cheaper than the 300 $ AC pulley.

Damn, i didnt even think of using RTV on the auto tensioner, i did notice that as well, that it looked like oil could leak from there. but i havent had any problems yet, its been 11,000 miles. i was also really careful with everything ;)

chbuzz
05-30-2009, 12:49 PM
This is a good example/lesson to only use Mitsubishi factory T-belt and to torque to factory spec via tensioner pulley with MD998767 tool.
Silversurfer I hope others don't read your T-belt advice and follow in reference to T-belt install. If you overtension the timing belt via tensioner pulley it can kill Idler/tensioner pulleys. along with the oil pump, and cause excessive crank and cam bearing wear and of course cause premature belt failure. It's simple guys follow service manual or theres a decent tuitorial on here.

silversurfer
05-30-2009, 08:19 PM
i have done the belt replacement 100 times .if you have never like maybe you get the tool if you are a tool then get a companion. get something to talk about that hasnt been closed forever.

WarmAndSCSI
05-30-2009, 08:21 PM
i have done the belt replacement 100 times if you have never like maybe you get the tool if you are a tool then get a companion. get something to talk about that hasnt been closed forever.

What!?

galantebeige
06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I did my timing belt only once, but I read the service manual like a 100 times. There is really no way to go around it. The specs are to be followed. It takes a bit more time and some patience, but I put it all back only once and the car is back on the road, no problems.

If you don't have the MD998767 tool, I could see you might be able to pull it off with the allen wrench, or something else. But after it does get tensioned, you need to double check the specs.

gnaunited
12-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I hate to bring up old threads, but did you have to replace the valves / head? Everything you described matched 100% what happened to me. The belt is still tight, but is badly damaged. I am planning to pull the head anyway to check for damage.