PDA

View Full Version : 4g64 feels very sluggish

ffidan
10-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey guys, my 98 4cyl auto galant feels very sluggish under acceleration. I've cleaned the throttle body completely, bought but haven't installed the fuel filter yet. I know it's not the tranny. The car sounds alot deeper but feels like it's only producing 80hp not the 141hp. I give it full throttle off the line, after 2000rpm it feels like turbo lag (I have no turbo) throughout the entire rev band and feels like something is robbing it of fuel and timing between 2000rpm to 5000rpm. The poor engine feels like it's gonna fall apart if I give it any more power. I'm taking apart the intake manifold on Tuesday to see if there's a blockage. Can it be the injectors need cleaning or replacement. Also my distributor cap is leaking oil could that be the case? Any and all replies are greatly appreciated!!

Galant Kid
10-11-2008, 06:06 PM
how many miles on your car?

our cars have lots of torque stock (okay not lots but you know) check the brakes for normal operation, something might be dragging, like a caliper got stuck on one side. That would explain why your engine feels like it's falling apart if it's not something engine related.

qnz
10-11-2008, 06:07 PM
is your e-brake on?

mko
10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey guys, my 98 4cyl auto galant feels very sluggish under acceleration. I've cleaned the throttle body completely, bought but haven't installed the fuel filter yet. I know it's not the tranny. The car sounds alot deeper but feels like it's only producing 80hp not the 141hp. I give it full throttle off the line, after 2000rpm it feels like turbo lag (I have no turbo) throughout the entire rev band and feels like something is robbing it of fuel and timing between 2000rpm to 5000rpm. The poor engine feels like it's gonna fall apart if I give it any more power. I'm taking apart the intake manifold on Tuesday to see if there's a blockage. Can it be the injectors need cleaning or replacement. Also my distributor cap is leaking oil could that be the case? Any and all replies are greatly appreciated!!

I sounds like its short of fuel. check for kinks in the fuel supply and return lines, check your fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter.

How did it happen? you didnt drive it for a long time, or it happened suddenly?

DOHCstunr
10-11-2008, 07:30 PM
When is the last time you did a tune up?
Distributor cap, distriutor rotor button, spark plug wires, OEM NGK spark plugs....... not ANY crappy aftermarket and especially not BOSCH?

I ccan garuntee you there is no blockage in your intake manifold. You will only be wasting your time unless you have a leaking gasket that needs to be replaced.

ffidan
10-11-2008, 07:49 PM
I was heading to work, I was at 65mph then I stepped into it, wound out 3rd gear then at about 5500rpm the engine just got noticeably louder. After a little more driving easy, giving more gas the car feels like it has lost 60hp and just strains like it's in endless turbo lag. She has 182,000 miles on her and is daily driven. An Evo mechanic told me it was the fuel pump that needs to be replaced. He suggests a Walbro 190 or 255 lph (liters per hour) fuel pump for like $100. Does that sound like it could be the culprit? Tomorrow i'll change the fuel filter b/c i've already bought it. Let me know what you guys think... Thanks for all the replies!

ffidan
10-11-2008, 07:52 PM
When is the last time you did a tune up?
Distributor cap, distriutor rotor button, spark plug wires, OEM NGK spark plugs....... not ANY crappy aftermarket and especially not BOSCH?

I ccan garuntee you there is no blockage in your intake manifold. You will only be wasting your time unless you have a leaking gasket that needs to be replaced.

She is due for a tune-up it's been a while...

mko
10-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I was heading to work, I was at 65mph then I stepped into it, wound out 3rd gear then at about 5500rpm the engine just got noticeably louder. After a little more driving easy, giving more gas the car feels like it has lost 60hp and just strains like it's in endless turbo lag. She has 182,000 miles on her and is daily driven. An Evo mechanic told me it was the fuel pump that needs to be replaced. He suggests a Walbro 190 or 255 lph (liters per hour) fuel pump for like $100. Does that sound like it could be the culprit? Tomorrow i'll change the fuel filter b/c i've already bought it. Let me know what you guys think... Thanks for all the replies!

190 or 255 is a little overkill if you dont have turbo. but, yes Galants pumps are weak spot. Just go to the nearest j/y and get another pump

4-G-rim
10-12-2008, 12:03 AM
When you say your motor is noticable louder...do you mean the exhaust?

A bad exhaust leak especially on a N/A will have the motor perform "sluggish" very noticably.

ffidan
10-12-2008, 10:42 AM
The engine itself is noticeably louder not the exhaust... DOHCstunr your car is pretty....

DOHCstunr
10-12-2008, 12:48 PM
She is due for a tune-up it's been a while...

......... so grab 50 bucks and go to the store.

ffidan
10-16-2008, 01:21 PM
UPDATE: I have installed a new fuel filter and a new Walbro 255 lph fuel pump which now the car feels like it has gotten back 30hp. I'm still losing power after 3000rpm and I think it's my distributor cap which is leaking oit. She idles fine so it may not be the cap. I need your help... Thanks

JoeRad
10-16-2008, 01:36 PM
I got a 4cyl too i think the prob is we got 4cyl and the cars a heavy beaatch

ffidan
10-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Alright guys, I think it's my tranny. Will a 5speed manual tranny from an Eclipse GS-T 4g63 fit to my 2.4 4g64?

ffidan
10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a 5mt tranny for a 4g64?

greddy
10-16-2008, 04:05 PM
junkyard

bmore303
10-16-2008, 05:20 PM
You sure you don't just have an exhaust leak? At one point I thought my engine had some catastrophic problem and a quick check under the car revealed a horribly worn flex pipe.

glantv699
10-16-2008, 07:18 PM
is your e-brake on?

HAHAHAHAHHAA

Aaron, you are the man

DOHCstunr
10-16-2008, 09:53 PM
You need a tune up.
buy a distributor o-ring and in ten minutes your leak is fixed.

ffidan
10-17-2008, 05:42 PM
You need a tune up.
buy a distributor o-ring and in ten minutes your leak is fixed.

That is the next step. A store around here quoted me $256 vs. the dealer's $460.

DOHCstunr
10-18-2008, 05:04 PM
what does that price include?

Galant306m
10-18-2008, 06:24 PM
wow when people dont listen they get really far.

Seriously just change the o-ring on your distributed, the cap, rotor, plugs, and wire and go from there. Tune up's are a good thing and your car will like you more after you do it.

DOHCstunr
10-18-2008, 06:47 PM
wow when people dont listen they get really far.

Seriously just change the o-ring on your distributed, the cap, rotor, plugs, and wire and go from there. Tune up's are a good thing and your car will like you more after you do it.
he'll get better mileage too

ffidan
10-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Ok new distributor is in, included is the distributor cap, rotor button, and distributor itself. The car runs alot better now but the power is not getting to the wheels like it use to. I have to get another tranny. No more auto just have to save to go 5mt. Now, do any of you guys know if the eclipse gs-t tranny will fit? I ask b/c 5mt galants are rare and i'm more likely to find a gs-t at a junkyard than a galant 5mt. Thanks for the replies thus far you all have been a great help!

DOHCstunr
10-22-2008, 10:22 PM
do you have any exhaust leaks? did you replace the plug wires and spark plugs yet?

you need to be running the OEM plugs. nothing fancy. just the OEM NGK plugs.
exhaust leaks ROB you of horsepower. even the tiny ones.

ffidan
10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
The engine is completely fine now, but the power's not getting to the wheels so I have to drop the tranny. I haven't changed the plugs or wires yet I may try that. Thanks

ffidan
10-23-2008, 05:39 PM
I have no exhaust leaks neither I checked thoroughly...

Markus
02-15-2009, 07:58 AM
where did you get the flex pipe? i need one for my 94 galant.